Yanagi?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhenry

Reaction score
I have been wanting a yanagi for a while now. I know nada about single bevels, and I am wondering if this one would be a little much for a first. I'm not too concerned about maintaining it and keeping it sharp at first. I don't think Mike(miles) would mind helping me, and I can always send it to Dave.
These seem to be really high value knives and I love this one especially the tip. What do ya'll think?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-Steel-...031?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5aecd12897
It's ok to post links to ebay as long as it isint an auction right?
I do plan on buying something really cheap to learn on also

I don't think you have to spend quite that much on a yanagi Mike. Have you considered Watanabe? Dave and I had a conversation about Watanabe's single bevel knives and he stated something I've often heard on the subject; for the craftsmanship and value for what he charges, they're often overlooked. Are you at home? I can ship you mine to play with for a while if you like.

Mike, Say the word and I'll send you my "throw down" yani to play with, a less expensive Yoshiro. Use it, sharpen it, whatever. You know its got a nice handle on it...

I would take up Dave's generious offer.Learn Jon's SB sharpening on video or if you know someone who can guide you one on one even better.If you learn good tech. SB are not that hard to sharpen.

You can buy a yanagi for under 100.00 but to get a quality blade they start at around 250.00.For a Kiritsuke Yanagi of good quality figure over 300.00.Yanagiba's can go over 1000.00 easy,but there are some very nice blades in the 250.00-400.00 range.

I also see on buy & sell unused SB's come up for sale.

is there any point on a yanagi if you don't use it primarily for fish? also, are there any double bevel yanagis? as in the grind is only on the right face but still a back bevel on left side. in search for a 210 line knife with enough knuckle clearance...

is there any point on a yanagi if you don't use it primarily for fish? also, are there any double bevel yanagis? as in the grind is only on the right face but still a back bevel on left side. in search for a 210 line knife with enough knuckle clearance...

There are a few double bevel versions around. Takeda and Zakuri come to mind. I have the Sakuri 210. Really versatile knife. I use a yanagiba for slicing all kinds of boneless protein. It's great for making stir-fry thin slices. If you are worried about knuckle clearance you could think about a suji.

Thanks guys for offering your knives, but with my weird schedule I probably shouldn't. I am headed to Norway next week Denmark after that its just a little crazy right now.

I haven't seriously looked at a Watanabe in a long time. I have tried a couple of his gyutos and they just didn't agree with me, but I will have a look

I have a couple suji's a kono and a Takeda. I really don't need a yanagi. I just want one, something nice that I can put a fancy handle on and whip out occasionally to slice some proteins

I have never owned a Kiritsuke type blade.I do like the looks of them.Maybe some day.

I would not call any double beveled knife a true Yanagiba.A type of hybrid maybe.It is like Kiritsuke type gyuto's DB as opposed to a single bevel,hollow ground backside Kiritsuke.

If you love knives & want a Japan SB get one & learn how to sharpen it.Even if you only use it for some protiens you can appreciate what a fine blade you are using & they get wicked sharp.

i bought a small, cheap yanagiba from MM (IKEUCHI) to practise on (ok, ok, I also added a small deba). it needs quite a bit of TLC, but that is kinda the point ;)

Back