• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

kato 270mm w/custom handle FS/FT/WTB

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labor of love

https://www.teruyasu.net/products/
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
hwh7.jpg
[/URL]Uploaded with ImageShack.com
7oh9.jpg
hwkx.jpg
today i wanted to put up for sale, or for trade, or just to borrow my kato 270 workhorse gyuto with custom handle. bieniek was the original owner. he made the custom d shape handle and its nice and comfortable(even for a lefty like me). so if someone wants to borrow the kato in exchange for a heiji or gengetsu 270mm i would be interested. or if you have something else cool you would be willing to loan out im all ears. im open to trades of knives of similar value, but im super picky. i would offer this knife for sale for $500 shipped.
But heres the thing, this knife is nowhere close to ootb in any way, so i must insist that any potential buyers should borrow this knife before purchase just to make sure its what you like. the heel height is 53mm, edge length is 268mm. so its lost some steel. but its still a good cutter. it may require some thinning based on your standards. the cladding is very easy to thin i think, first time ever ive actually ever enjoyed thinning a knife. pm me with questions...
thanks

Larger images may help :) Open these in new tabs will see 1280-pixel-wide images.

hwh7.jpg

7oh9.jpg

hwkx.jpg

thanks schanop. i loaded the pics with my ipad instead of my laptop and it was alittle more difficult than usual. if i wasnt clear in my first post im offering 3 options:
1) you loan me a cool knife, ill loan you the kato. just for fun.
2) we trade knives for keeps, if its a knife i like. and i would let you use the kato before you make a decision.
3) you buy the kato. but i would let you use the knife before you make a decision. drive before you buy, right?

ill drop it down to $475.keep in mind that brand new this knife retails for $692. plus the cost of a nice custum handle upgrade.

Have you spoken to JKerr? May be a cleaver exchange with Kato is the way to go.

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

ill post more pics soon. for those that dont already know, kato is really thin behind the edge. i actually stopped thinning, during my sharpening sessions because i felt it was almost too thin. this is thick compared to most katos, yet its still petty good looking.

the very first time i used the kato, it chipped where the heel meets the choil. im slowly just letting the chip sharpen out on its own, as it doesnt effect performance. i never really use that part of the edge really. ive gotten some mild interest but nothing too concrete yet. im willing to take more pics and ofcourse anybody thats seriously interested can borrow it first before comitting to a decision. for anyone on the fence about this knife, ive got a feeling that the performance would win you over.

I have wanted to try a kato out for some time. I dont know what you are looking for in a trade but please let me know. Id like to get my hands on another 270 gyuto

quick update. i worked on the tip some more and i think it looks nicer. also thinned it out too. cuts even better now. ill polish it later on tonight. ill go ahead and drop the price to $450.

This is a deal. If I didn't have one already in 240mm and a boat load of great 270mm gyutos, I would be all over this.

thanks. i just used a dmt coarse plate. it really didnt take much longer than 10 minutes. using a marker helps too, you can see what tip willl look like before you start grinding away, if you just mark over the metal first.

Thanks, I happened to buy 2 Kato's and a Takeda in couple weeks , now it is time to sell some stuff before my other half sees the CC statement:sad0:

Back