Quantcast
Ken Onion "Rain" Mini reveiw - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Ken Onion "Rain" Mini reveiw

Quote Originally Posted by Lucretia View Post
    Dave,

Sorry, a Rader handle is superior for footwork.
    Touche

Quote Originally Posted by spaceconvoy View Post
    This has become one weird thread.
    When you poke the bear you don't know what the bear is gonna do...
    Dave
    Older and wider.

This is what happens when well known tactical knife makers venture into the kitchen knife world. Some do well and some........ well do this!

Kind of related: a not very knife savvy work colleague has a 7" ken onion cleaver . A truly ridiculous thing.
    $300 : wierd handle, vg10 , HRC:60 , 16 degree angle!! They actually sell these with a description stating they are designed to smash through bone. Two guesses what happens next ??
    Massive chips, it should be illegal to sell this "cleaver "
    That's my two cents and why I don't like ken onion or shun .
    No refund either, I fixed it for him & reprofiled to 30 degrees .
    Even then still ugly

Say what you want but Ken is the only custom knifemaker that has become famous for designing factory kitchen knives. Kramer is probably No. 2 and the rest of makers are pretty much unknowns.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle Soup View Post
    Say what you want but Ken is the only custom knifemaker that has become famous for designing factory kitchen knives. Kramer is probably No. 2 and the rest of makers are pretty much unknowns.
    Being famous doesnt mean you are good at what you do. People just know you do it. Look at the slobs from Jersey Shore. They are famous.

Money talks and the rest walk boys

I must admit I don't know a lot about ken onion ... All I know is his name is attached to a cleaver advertised for bone chopping tasks that is made out of chippy steel at a 16 degree angle.
    At $300 ish that's a pretty shocking design flaw

A previous thread on Ken's knives quickly denigrated into a discussion about Ken. I intentionally started a new thread focused on the line of knives and their merits (or lack thereof) .

From Dave M: "Please use this forum to post objective respectful reviews of kitchen knives & related products. "

A discussion of Ken's acumen, design ability, and market success would certainly be interesting but perhaps better placed elsewhere.

Regards,

Dave
    Dave
    Older and wider.

I own a John Pimble edition Old Hickory from the 60's to 70's era. I think that precedes the big O and Mr. Kramer.....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com