Quantcast
bandsaw blades
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bandsaw blades

bandsaw blades

Local sawmill has given me access to about 20 ft of band saw steel. each piece is about 8 in wide, and has been cut to about 5 f in length. Needless to say, they have a little curve to them. I think they're carbon since the steel turns gray with a little vinegar splasked on, but have no idea what kind. Nevertheless, I hope to make a few knives from them, but need to straighten out the individual piece after roughing out the shape. With stuff I have on hand I can easily build a small propane fired oven, complete with digital pyrometer, if necessary, but have no idea where to begin. Any ideas would be highly appreciated.
    Thanks-Tom
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

I look forward to what develops with this!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

tom....i know alot of people do it but i wouldn't use anything except quality steel for a knife......while many people will tell you they r "x" steel .....they might be....they aldso might not.....with all the work it takes to grind something out and finish it....just get some cheap carbon steel to practice on.....ryan

viva la revolucion !

Impressively pointed
    Ryan's got it right. Go with a known steel. Call Aldo the NJ Steel Baron, he'll hook you up with whatever you need.

Big bands are made from 15n20. Fine for knives. I like to mix it with other high carbon steels for making damascus.

It has .75 carbon with 2% nickel. Harden from about 1500f. Temper at 350-375f.

Hoss

Quote Originally Posted by tgraypots View Post
    Local sawmill has given me access to about 20 ft of band saw steel. each piece is about 8 in wide, and has been cut to about 5 f in length. Needless to say, they have a little curve to them. I think they're carbon since the steel turns gray with a little vinegar splasked on, but have no idea what kind. Nevertheless, I hope to make a few knives from them, but need to straighten out the individual piece after roughing out the shape. With stuff I have on hand I can easily build a small propane fired oven, complete with digital pyrometer, if necessary, but have no idea where to begin. Any ideas would be highly appreciated.
    Thanks-Tom
    Man you just landed a ton of steel. Send over some if you have no use for it.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Ya, I wouldn't mind some of that myself!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

How thick is it?

so everybody wants unknown steel that may or may not make a usable knife?....i got some scrap in my backyard i'll sell ya if u want.....ryan

viva la revolucion !

Hay, some of us need a little practice!
    Spike C
    Pirsig

+ Reply to Thread