Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bandsaw blades

Quote Originally Posted by sudsy9977 View Post
    so everybody wants unknown steel that may or may not make a usable knife?....i got some scrap in my backyard i'll sell ya if u want.....ryan
    i am for sure one of those pll that will tell you to buy new steel but on the other hand if you can get 40 or more lbs of it and have it tested jsut to make sure its what you think then i see no problem in using the "used" steel

how even if you cnat get a lot of it or cant have it tested then i woudl not bother

as far as for practice even ugly knives with good HT are good knives so why not make a knife looking thing that at leasty you know will take an edge post HT

If it's thin, I was going to suggest that he use it for prototypes. That's what I do, it saves time on grinding, and a paper thin edge, while flexible, will still cut, and it won't take a billion hours to cut out. A design may look good on paper, but you really wanna hold it in your hand, and a thin sheet of easy to machine steel and a block of poplar from the hardware store makes prototypes a one day job.

3/32
    I'm taking a class in stock reduction in late August, but I got the bug and can't wait until then to start farting around with the steel. I' ve roughed out a nakiri shape with my angle grinder, almost burned up my dremel tool before switching to grinder, and would like to straighten it prior to more grinding. So, do I heat it up to red heat, 1200 degrees, in hopes it will 'relax? Grind, shape, then harden at 1500 and temper at 350? Thanks! Tom
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

If you heat to around 1850 you should be able to tap it flat.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Heat it to a dull red and straighten. 1850f is not necessary.

Hoss

Quote Originally Posted by DevinT View Post
    Heat it to a dull red and straighten. 1850f is not necessary.

Hoss
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Sorry Spike

Didn't mean to sound so arrogant.

Hoss

Lol it's not arrogance. It's sorta like in Monty Python quest for the Holy Grail when god appears in the sky and gives Arthur and his knights the quest to find the Grail - you just do what the man says!

Edit; video link for those that haven't seen it or are rusty
    - Sean

I did not see arrogance, I was just paying homage!
    Spike C
    Pirsig