Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Knife hunting in Japan - any advice?

I'm also going to Japan and having stuff delivered to ones hotel sounds like a good idea. So besides amazon.jp does anyone know the places with the cheapest prices to order stuff from (stones as well knives - and come to think of it the Japanese cutting boards that because of shipping are insanely expensive in the US ). In fact, I wonder if Hong Kong wouldn't be a better place to buy Japanese stuff (and of course I'll be visiting CCK while there :- ) )

Google with "kenji site:Jp" usually can get you a bunch of good sites. Rakuten is good as well.

Quote Originally Posted by apathetic View Post
    A part from the materialistic aspect of things, I am curious to go a bit off the beaten path, to get a more 'authentic' experience to Japan. It's not my first time there so I've already been to the touristy spots around Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto. Any suggestions?
    http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2014_when.html

That's the problem with visiting Japan, especially when the leaves are changing. If it's something worth seeing, it'll either be surrounded by a million Japanese tourists, or hours away in the middle of nowhere.

Takayama is the best idea I can think of - good local food and culture, great architecture and scenery, plus hot springs. Also an easy jumping off point for Shirakawa-go, if you want to see something really unique. Takes some time to get there, but not too bad - you can take the shinkansen to Gifu, then it's another 2 hours by train (which is a great experience in itself, winding through the mountain passes). And while Seki isn't the best place for kitchen knives, it's a quick detour along the way.

@ Timthebeaver: Thanks for the link, there is enough to keep me busy for quite a while
    Need to figure out which ones I need to prioritise, probably the most obscure ones first!

@pkjames: This is great advice as well!

@gic: if you're there around end of october let me know, it would be fun to meet up!

@spaceconvoy: Thanks for the recommendation, seems quite easy to get to from Tokyo so I will most likely go to Takayama.