Quantcast
Curing Salmon - Anyone does it?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curing Salmon - Anyone does it?

Curing Salmon - Anyone does it?

As a kid, we used to cure most fish we catch in rivers... Now days I do it with Salmon, so I want wondering if someone else it too.

I get freshest possible salmon fillet, wash it and dry it, Then cover it with 2x salt to sugar ratio and add dill. wrap it on side with paper and put weight on it (other 2 sides should breathe. Stick it in fridge and empty out the liquid at the bottom. After 2 days, I change it to a different container and remove weight and let it sit another 2 days until it cures right through.

Then, I wash it and dry it and slice 1/4th inch. The texture firms up and it's a bit salty with dill flavor and subtle sweetness. It rarely lasts but when it's done, I slice it all together, put in a mason jar and cover it with oil.
    I use it instead of smoked salmon and it ends up 1/2 the price and much more flavor.

It's crude but simple and seems to work very well.

I cure all sorts of fish. My current favorite is albacore, cured then poached in oil.

My wife does it pretty regularly with salmon. She skips the sugar in the cure, but othewise does a similar procedure to yours.

I've done grav lax before pretty tasty

we do sell that at the restaurant sometimes.

I've done beet cured salmon. Slice red beets and dehydrate for 24hrs. Buzz into a powder form. cure is 100% weight of salmon, 3% salt, 1% sugar, 1/4c beet powder. vac in bags "cryo-cure" for 48 hrs. rinse and slice! The outside will be a bright purple while the inside of the salmon is orange. beautiful and very tasty

we cure a lot of fish at work usally the suger salt raito is 60% suger 40% salt and we normally add orange lemon or lime and sometimes use brown suger and also when we do it its just a light cure to firm the fish up then we wash it off and smoke it.

Yes. My mentor was from Norway.

yup

Don't touch my d!ck. Dont touch my knife. ~ Anthony Bourdain ~

That salmon looks gorgeous. Did you also smoke it?