Best 2 stone setup?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevenStefano

Reaction score
Not sure if this had been answered before, but I'll give this a go anyway. I have tried experimenting recently with a King 800-5k Rika setup and despite it being fast, I wasn't that impressed by the edge it left. I've also tried 500 Bester-Rika 5k and again was left unimpressed. If I go Bester 500-Beston 1k-Rika 5k I love the edge, but I'm looking for something faster. Anyone have any ideas? Before someone says to just start with the Beston, it's not coarse enough for how my edges are when they need sharpened. Would the JNS 1k be better? So what would be the best 2 stone setup to go for?

I'm planning on switching to a 2 stone setup myself of splash and go stones. I've got a 600 Gesshin and plan on purchasing a 6k to follow it. I've got a 5k Gesshin now, but it seems to need a ~1k in between. From what I understand you can go straight from the 600-6k and I really like the Gesshin stones. For soakers, I've heard that the 400/4k (Gesshin again) is a very good combination.

If you sharpen your knife more frequently, I don't think the 500 grit stone would be necessary. If you do it often enough, you can probably spend like 10 mins a session with the Rika 5k unless you damage the knife somehow.

If you sharpen your knife more frequently, I don't think the 500 grit stone would be necessary. If you do it often enough, you can probably spend like 10 mins a session with the Rika 5k unless you damage the knife somehow.

I believe the OP is not speaking of routine maintenance, but rather a complete sharpening setup made up of two stones?

The thing is, I don't sharpen my knife frequently. Between my job and other obligations I often go for months without a day "off" as such so I don't sharpen as often as I'd like. Just using the 1200 Beston to 5k would be the simplest solution but sadly life has a habit of getting in the way of things

Back