Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: what food generates more negative comment? in your opinion. mine? BEETS.

Balut. Disgusting on multiple levels.

For me personally, I gag at the taste of cooked cabbage (but I love super-thin sliced cabbage with Japanese ginger dressing). I just read on wikipedia that overcooked cabbage releases hydrogen sulfide, also released by swamps, sewers, and rotten eggs. So that might be it.

China, You're born with the distaste for Cilantro. I love it, dive into a big pile and rub it all over my body like a pig in ****.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/201...e-in-your-head

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    Love beets, learning to love (figuring out how to prepare) brussel sprouts. The one thing that I love that some people have a problem with is cilantro.
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

I'm not really very interested in trying many of the really weird animal parts (think: eyes, genitals, slimy stuff) and have a very limited craving for still-alive insects. Tried roasted grashoppers and a few others and found them to be lacking on the culinary experience side. But generally, my motto is "I try everything once'. My other aversions are hard-earned, usually paid for with projectile vomiting or stomach cramps. That includes, formost, any kind of fish egg, those come back up faster than they go down. Also not a big fan of uni, natto, and slimy things. For some reason, I also can't eat avocado - I can cope with a morsel in a California role, but anything more will make me feel sick.

That said, I love beets and brussel sprouts, any kind of cabbage, really. As somebody who works in the wider health field, many of my friends and colleagues are health nuts. So, many years ago, I made, among other things, sauerkraut with hamhocks and offered smuggled canned sausage covered in pork fat, blood and liver sausage, rustic German bread with a spread from rendered bacon fat, onions and apples. There were not many takers among my American friends, but the Europeans gobbled it all up...

Stefan

P.S. Just looked up Balut - let me add that to the 'not remotely interested' list.

Balut tastes really ordinary for somethings that looks really nuts.

okay. good call on the Balut. i should try one. i can eat a 1000 year old egg. not by itself, but in congee. i know a taiwan man that eats them while shooting whiskey.

in my area, they dye the balut eggshells reddish-pink. anyone know why?

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

It took me about 50 years before I could stand brussel sprouts. My mother always boiled them and they were bitter as all get out. I now love them. Cut them in half and shred them. Saute in some bacon fat/evoo/butter with some finely diced onions or cut in half, tossed with some evoo, salt and pepper and roasted. You have to cut them in half otherwise the interior gets a little too mushy for me.

The number one thing that gets negative comments in my house, beef tongue. Tripe is right there too.

Quote Originally Posted by boomchakabowwow View Post
    okay. good call on the Balut. i should try one. i can eat a 1000 year old egg. not by itself, but in congee. i know a taiwan man that eats them while shooting whiskey.

in my area, they dye the balut eggshells reddish-pink. anyone know why?
    Balut really just tastes like a hardboiled egg, that was cooked in chicken/duck broth. The juice that collects, while viewed by the aficionados as the best part, is pretty funky. You do have to watch out for people who sell old balut eggs. Those are the ones you see that look like a fetus, and can have little bones, beaks, and sometimes feathers.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Not really down with brains, genitals or reproductive organs.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Brings back memories of refrigerator pickled beets with boiled eggs

Mmmmmmm lamb brain curry.