Suisin Inox Honyaki or masamoto ks gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pdksays

Reaction score
I've narrowed it down on my own to these two knives, I know they're very different, ones carbon ones stainless, ones honyaki ones not. However as I have no experience with either I was hoping you guys could weigh in on what's the better choice

Please refer to the Kitchen Knife Knowledge subforum and the Kitchen Knife Glossary thread (LINK) for general information, including the knife types and other terminology used in this questionnaire.

USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)? Wa-gyuto

Are you right or left handed? Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Japanese handle

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 240mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No
What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

$375

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Professional
What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
I'm a tournant so I work all stations my day to day can include anything from veg to butchery
What knife, if any, are you replacing?
I have a gesshin uraku gyuto as my workhorse
Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) pinch grip

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.) push cutting and slicing, sometimes rocking

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Please refer to the Kitchen Knife Knowledge subforum and the Kitchen Knife Glossary thread (LINK) for general information, including the knife types and other terminology used in this questionnaire.

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

Are you right or left handed?

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Both my nenox and gesshin are a bit thicker I want a lazer
Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)? Doesn't matter

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)? Less wedging, lighter

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

I sharpen regularly and will sharpen as often as I need to to maintain my edge so retention is important but not a deal breaker

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Rubber/synthetic at work, wood at home
Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes and often
If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

Already have a decent progression

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

well, if youre looking for a laser then you should probably go with suisin inox. ive owned them both and theyre both good in their own ways. but i much prefer suisin inox.

ks isnt really a laser and will require a fair bit off thinning edge retention is ok, ease of sharpening is great, profile is great, after a nice polishing up to 1200 grit sandpaper food release was great and wedging slightly occurs unless you thin it alot. dont own a suisin inox honyaki so i cant compare

I have had both and you are correct--they are very different. A note on the SIH is that it is not technically honyaki as in mizu-honyaki...it is monosteel as is the KS. The KS is heavier and needed a bit of work out of the box. If fit and finish means anything then there is no comparison the SIH wins hands down. I like the KS profile and if you're willing to do a bit of work it can be a great cutter. If you want a laser then the SIH is a fine knife I just couldn't get used to the lack of weight. The KS is not heavy by any means and in fact is a bit light for me, but feels better than the Suisin if you like a heavier blade. Both sharpen very easily though retention will be much better on the Suisin. The semi-octagonal (?) wa handle on the SIH was awesome and the D-handle on the KS is crappy for a relatively expensive knife. Which profile do you prefer?

Useful or useless as this may be, I've leaned out my knife kit to a handful of knives with only one being a gyuto.
I've had a few of 'em (ks included) and the only one I have now is the Suisin IH.
I found it to be the most suitable, practical and hardest to let go of based on my preferences.
The Suisin for me doesn't jump out with being the best at any one thing but it's good at many.
Just buy them both and sell whichever you like less in b/s/t :D

Useful or useless as this may be, I've leaned out my knife kit to a handful of knives with only one being a gyuto.
I've had a few of 'em (ks included) and the only one I have now is the Suisin IH.
I found it to be the most suitable, practical and hardest to let go of based on my preferences.
The Suisin for me doesn't jump out with being the best at any one thing but it's good at many.
Just buy them both and sell whichever you like less in b/s/t :D

Agreed. They are both very different animals. One stainless the other carbon. One flat profiled the other not as flat. One a laser the other not. One has almost unequaled fit and finish from the factory the other not. And this experiment will really help you decide what it is that you are looking for in your ideal gyuto.

If you're interested I'll sell you my suisin 240 inox with a custom stefan keller handle for what I paid for it, $375. I own this guy and participated in the 270 masamoto passaround. Masamoto was a ton of fun. Felt long, never measured but it looked like a 280 or 290 on the edge and felt like a 300, good grind, but I just didn't love the edge retention after a full shift on poly boards. Suisin steel I love to sharpen and use, probably best stainless I've used (have a 210 inox suji that I love), super thin and light, but I realized I'm just a 260-270 kinda guy through and through. Two very different beasts, but you're welcome to give mine a good home if you're interested and I think you'll have fun with either.

Back