finally testing the water

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liren1

Reaction score
Hi All
Finally after reading this forum (hmm, and others..) decided to join in this one. Since I can certainly be considered a newbie it will probably be more for asking questions rather then answering them. Having the ability to access the vast accumulated knowledge in the forum is a privilege.

I live in the UK, aka ripoff Britain ...

My day job, the one that pays for this rather expensive hobby is IT, but I like to cook at home and have about 8 knives altogether. Yes yes, much more than I actually need, among others a Takeda, and a Masamoto KS Gyuto which is my favourite.

I sharpen with Edge Pro - hopefully that won't make me an outcast immediately..

That's if for now

welcome! You won't be an outcast for having an edgepro, but don't be surprised if people try to persuade you into some stones and trying a go at freehanding. :D

welcome! You won't be an outcast for having an edgepro, but don't be surprised if people try to persuade you into some stones and trying a go at freehanding. :D

Thank you all again !
Yes I know that - I've been reading this forum for a while now, I have tried once to use stones actually - not on my own stones, at someone else's house - the results were not spectacular to say the least, I just couldn't seem to get the hang of it. But then again, the most complicated DIY job I can complete with any level of confidence is changing a light bulb, so the problem seems to be more 'systemic'... If however one day - however unlikely - I find myself in Pennsylvania (this is where Mr Martell is from right ?) - or in Los Angeles - slightly more likely - I will do my best to book a 1-1 training with the experts, maybe that will put me on the right track. To slightly redeem myself, I do strop free hand - with mixed results - sometimes it clearly makes it better, sometimes not, sometimes it even makes it a bit worse.

Back