Quantcast
How do you cook beets?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you cook beets?

How do you cook beets?

With beets showing up on the most hated list, I was wondering--how do you get them to taste good?

I had them once in a restaurant and they were wonderful (with carrots & leeks in a cream sauce) but any time I've tried to cook them at home they taste like dirt.
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

Make sure their fresh, roast them whole , unpeeled about an hour at 350, either wrapped in foil or rubbed with some olive oil. Peel'm when they've cooled little. The skin comes right off.

i wash them. put them in this cheap ceramic hot-pot thing my mom gave me. drizzle them with a tiny bit of olive oil to coat, sprinkle on some kosher salt, pot the lid on..and into the oven until a paring knife stabs in easy.

then the world is your oyster. the skins rub off at this point. you can pickle them, slice them over a salad, just eat them as a veggie. whatever. pretty versatile. i have some pickled. now that the beets are eaten, i have stashed some hardboiled eggs into the vinegar for pickled eggs. the color of the eggs at this point are amazing.

amazing how red beet water can make a kitchen look like a CSI crime scene.

Glove up when your handling the cooked ones or the kitchen won't be the only thing red.

This recipe always works for me, serve as app or salad. I even get requests for it.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/t...ipe/index.html
    Dave
    Older and wider.

I like them with an orange and white balsamic vinaigrette, also a little ricotta never hurt, maybe some pistachios....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mrmnms View Post
    Make sure their fresh, roast them whole , unpeeled about an hour at 350, either wrapped in foil or rubbed with some olive oil. Peel'm when they've cooled little. The skin comes right off.
    + 1. The roasting causes them to caramelize a bit. Nice and sweet.

Refrigerator pickled with hard boiled eggs

Can't understand an aversion to beets except that they're messy to work with. Go with the roasting method as a base and work out from there. Beets & goat cheese is a classis combo...from the hackneyed beet & goat cheese salad to a beet sorbet with chevre mousse. Beet puree makes a cool plate accent as does a broken beet vinaigrette.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Nothing beats beets. Love 'em and was continually offended by the anti-beet bias demonstrated in The Office US. Just not on.

The colour is one of the good things about them.

I roast them with the skin off, olive oil, salt, pepper, maybe a bit of chilli flakes too. Or, of course, add them to salads. Or I'll make a curry with cashews and coconut inspired by the beetroot curry in Sri Lanka, where by the way I remember half the kids would shout out that it was their fav vegetable!

The only time I've really cooked with them was simply dice into 1/2" cubes and saute with carrots, butter and thyme.
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater