Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: New Product Survey - Leather Saya

I am thinking making sayas in these colors. What do you guys think? I can also make them in natural (vegetable tanned) leather, but coloring might be nicer.

Amber
    Name:  amber.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  844 Bytes

Dark Brown
    Name:  dark brown.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  960 Bytes

Black
    Name:  black.jpg
Size:  849 Bytes

Cognac
    Name:  cognac.jpg
Size:  1.0 KB

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    I am thinking making sayas in these colors. What do you guys think? I can also make them in natural (vegetable tanned) leather, but coloring might be nicer.

Amber
    Name:  amber.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  844 Bytes

Dark Brown
    Name:  dark brown.jpg
Size:  960 Bytes

Black
    Name:  black.jpg
Size:  849 Bytes

Cognac
    Name:  cognac.jpg
Size:  1.0 KB
    Look cool like the Amber...how long for these have a couple knives in need

It will probably be a month or so to get this project of the ground.

A drawback to wood sayas in a bag is that the pins can scratch other sayas. I recall reading about something in tanned leather deteriorating edges. Anyone have info on this, or is it an old wives tale? I do look forward to seeing some of these. The contrasting stitching sounds cool.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

I think the safest leather to use is vegetable tanned tool leather, and do the coloring on the outside only. That's basically my intention. I would not use any acid tanned leather for the sayas, as those could in theory (and possibly in practice) corrode carbon blades.
    I will use the tanned leather for the knife rolls though, but knives in those will be stored in their individual sayas (wood or leather), so there will no direct contact with roll leather.

Thanks for the tip on pins scratching. I will look into that.

M

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    I think the safest leather to use is vegetable tanned tool leather, and do the coloring on the outside only. That's basically my intention. I would not use any acid tanned leather for the sayas, as those could in theory (and possibly in practice) corrode carbon blades.
    I will use the tanned leather for the knife rolls though, but knives in those will be stored in their individual sayas (wood or leather), so there will no direct contact with roll leather.

Thanks for the tip on pins scratching. I will look into that.

M
    I am just looking forward to this for my other knives coming in....my custom will have a wood saya thats for sure...Whats the list for like on wooden sayas im still a couple months out on my custom

I use 9oz vegetable tan leather, and the edges getting bent are the last thing you need to worry about. It's thick grade leather, that will basically get better with age as long as it is weather proofed. You can bevel the edges, but I haven't seen the need to on any of mine. I have kept my blades in the leather sheaths for some time, (I know I'm not supposed to, they can rust). I have a really reactive kuro ichi steel knife that I wouldn't use as a line knife because it's a bit too reactive, but it has no problems being stored in the leather as long as it's dry. (I have polished this blade numerous times, so I am hardly concerned about finding rust on it, so you might want to be wary if you don't feel you can fix the problem if it happens) At the same time, I feel the plastic edge guards with the little bit of felt on the inside is MUCH worse for trapping moisture and rusting knives out in your kit overnight.

Also, I agree with pins scratching sayas my Gengetsu saya looks like it's been hammered like a copper pot it's got so many indentations on it. I also get black marks from my mac bread knife handle on sayas, so I put it in my utility pouch. I like the slimmer profile of the leather, too bad I have Pirate tendencies and keep putting belt loops on mine, they don't exactly save space with belt loops hehe. Good luck with the new venture Marko, hope you are successful and find some enjoyment working another material, hmmm wood, steel, leather, you gonna start sewing egyptian cotton chef jackets next, or starting a farm, hehe have fun!

I'll take 3 chef coats...
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by cookinstuff View Post
    ... hmmm wood, steel, leather, you gonna start sewing egyptian cotton chef jackets next, or starting a farm, hehe have fun!
    Yep, farming is next.