Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: bedbugs!

They don't get sprayed, the bedbugs North America is seeing now are completely immune to attacks on their sodium channel, which is how most insecticides work. The only way to kill them is to squash them(which is hella hard to do successfully), heat them to over 110F, or dry them out by slicing up their shells(but they are thicker shelled now too). The heat treatment for an apartment is so expensive it is cheaper to move, and once they are there, they are in the walls, floors, ceilings, a/c ducts, unused heater vents, porches, carpets, EVERYWHERE.

ok now I'm getting paranoid...
    - Sean

Having dealt with them once, I would certainly recommend being paranoid. They are, as everyone else has said over and over again, a total pain in the ass. Don't pick up anything fibrous or porous off the street, avoid used stuff that can harbor them (fibrous or porous), and if you ever buy a used book, stick it in the oven at 120 or so for an hour, because they can live in the binding. I did that with all my books, notebooks, papers, etc. (being a student and getting bedbugs SUCKS, especially when it happens around exams) since I didn't want to buy any of the special heating units you can buy for killing bedbugs.

Oh and this post:
    Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    They don't get sprayed, the bedbugs North America is seeing now are completely immune to attacks on their sodium channel, which is how most insecticides work. The only way to kill them is to squash them(which is hella hard to do successfully), heat them to over 110F, or dry them out by slicing up their shells(but they are thicker shelled now too). The heat treatment for an apartment is so expensive it is cheaper to move, and once they are there, they are in the walls, floors, ceilings, a/c ducts, unused heater vents, porches, carpets, EVERYWHERE.
    All I can say is F***!

Dang, the only good thing about them bugs is they create more work for my colleagues who do therapy. Nasty critters. I have just about arranged myself with the idea that roaches are impossible to avoid on a tropical island in a wooden house structure, but I really hope that these bed bugs never make it over here - well, most likely they are here somewhere, but I haven't seen any, yet. And I won't look.

Stefan

Keep in mind that they don't transmit any disease or sickness at all. They are so common now, they aren't quite the stigma they were when I had them('08). Some people don't even get itchy from them! I thought the bites were some kind of allergy, and when it became apparent they were bites, everyone refused to come to my house(including some people that were supposed to be caring for and supporting my pregnant wife), and people at my job thought I was unclean. It was really embarrassing. Today it is different; as they said on SNL, if you don't have bedbugs, you ain't s**t.

I don't know, those bites are still disgusting. I'd hate to be covered with those bedbug bites even if they don't transmit diseases.

You know the bedbugs have taken over when they start using your small appliances while you sleep.

It's just a matter of time.

yeah agree with you...my testing also proving this thing.. read.. http://www.whatdobedbugslooklike.net...-pictures.html

i thought i would update this. i did end up having a small bedbug infestation, this past year. i threw things away, put hospital grade mattress and pillow covers on, and sprayed Nisus Fireback and Sterifab. that is what the hospital i work at (probably where the bugs came from) uses. it drastically cut down, but didn't quite finish things. then, my landlord sprayed BASF Phantom into all the floor cracks, and i sprayed Delta Dust into corners. i repeated twice, every few weeks (he left the can of Phantom, which was enough for several sprayings). i haven't seen any evidence since, and it has been several months. the Delta Dust and the BASA Phantom was almost magic. within three days of spraying, there was almost nothing. i then saw two more bedbugs, a couple weeks later, and then nothing at all. BASF Phantom and Delta Dust are easily purchased online, and i think they are great! i ended up giving my fiancé some bites (i never had any bites, so i guess i just don't have an allergic reaction to them), but a couple sprays of Phantom fixed that. it has been 6 months since she had any bites, so i'd say we are in the clear! Phantom/Delta Dust, winner. these ****ers can come from anywhere, but diligence will destroy the issue.

I'm scared to death of them.

Speaking of scary, how about this:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e4a_1334156442

I don't know what I would do if this happened to me.