Quantcast
Which knife x 2 - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which knife x 2

MCUSTA Zanmai look nice and have a VG-10 core. You can order through Koki/JCK since he does business with them already (he stocks their non-kitchen lines on his other site).

Mine is customized with a wa handle conversion from Stefan.

Quote Originally Posted by liren1 View Post
    Which handle have you got ? The 240 is exactly the length I'm considering, but koki has it in Corian or Abalone - which looks somewhat over the top. I'm not inclined to spend big bucks on a handle. And as James said, he's very happy with his Saji also, I suppose with a more 'subdued' ironwood handle.

Any Tanaka owners out there ? I get the feeling that from quality point of view they are all in the same ball park ?

Any Tanaka owners out there ? I get the feeling that from quality point of view they are all in the same ball park ?
    This guy owns a bunch
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V33A2...Q59iQz01e10rnw

I have had the chance to handle a Tanaka and can vouch that the are beautifully made. It I was in the market for more R2 (aka sg2) it would be at the top of the list.
    Itou is also very well regarded by people whose opinions I trust, but I've never had to opportunity to see one first hand. I have occasionally seen one with a a less blingy handle, but for the most part, his aesthetic sensibilities do not match mine.

In the end I think you should just pick which ever seems most appealing to you; either way you will end up with a very nice knife.
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

Have a look at the Asai PM in SG2.
    My Asai is quite well ground, and others here have commented similarly in the past.

http://www.epicureanedge.com/shopdis...=Asai+PM+(SG2)
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

I see more options are openeing up (Asai), however as a European ordering from JCK is much more economical than from the US. He's got Itou knives, I just can't get myself to buy an Abalone handle, pay the premium for it and then replace it. From photos I've taken a liking to Tanaka knives, plus the usual rave reviews about them make them appealing to me, but they seem to be out of stock. I'll keep searching, or wait until Itou or Tanaka become availabe with ironwood, or get a Saji which is available, or bite the bullet and get an Abalone handle knife, arghhhh

I see more options are openeing up (Asai), however as a European ordering from JCK is much more economical than from the US. He's got Itou knives, I just can't get myself to buy an Abalone handle, pay the premium for it and then replace it. From photos I've taken a liking to Tanaka knives, plus the usual rave reviews about them make them appealing to me, but they seem to be out of stock. I'll keep searching, or wait until Itou or Tanaka become availabe with ironwood, or get a Saji which is available, or bite the bullet and get an Abalone handle knife, arghhhh
    Another option would be metalmaster he sells the Tanaka R2 and he is from Japan but it is sold out right now

http://www.metalmaster-ww.com/product-list/27

Tanaka also available at The Best Things.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    Tanaka also available at The Best Things.
    Yes, I found that out this afternoon, and I got me one today, they had one gyuto left, so I had to take it. I'm sending it to someone in the US who will come over here in 3 months time and attempt to sneak it through customs for me I'm looking forward to having it.

Yes, I found that out this afternoon, and I got me one today, they had one gyuto left, so I had to take it. I'm sending it to someone in the US who will come over here in 3 months time and attempt to sneak it through customs for me I'm looking forward to having it.
    Sweet! Please let us know what you think.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

+ Reply to Thread