Quantcast
This is how you cut onions... - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: This is how you cut onions...

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    I think it's stupid. Wrapping your face with plastic wrap? Stupid. The chemical reaction starts at the onions when the cells break and mix together, THEN they travel up to your eyes and create a sulfuric gas which your eyes try to flush away. Slow down the chemical reaction by storing your onions in the fridge and use a sharp knife so the cells don't get crushed and bruised together. Plastic wrap around the face, really?
    i get it. you think the plastic part is stupid. i was commenting about the chem reaction part. how does a cold onion reduce the reaction?

as far as the plastic? dunno. maybe it was a joke for a photo? personally, i like his "out of the box" thinking. what is that saying? "necessity is the mother of all invention".

onions dont bother me that much. some onions do affect me more..i've never really cared so much to note what changed..maybe the type of onion? my wife? it is like pepper spray for her.

a dive mask works...or goggles.

It is very true that some people are less affected than others.Unfortunate for me I fall in the latter catagory

I'm just a home cook, I used to tear up like crazy. I have noticed since buying good knives and learning to keep them sharp I haven't had any trouble with the tears.
    "Those who say it can't be done are always pasted by those doing it"

Quote Originally Posted by boomchakabowwow View Post
    i get it. you think the plastic part is stupid. i was commenting about the chem reaction part. how does a cold onion reduce the reaction?
    There are many chemical reactions that happen faster at higher temperatures.

Found this: http://www.ehow.com/info_8244482_hap...ill-onion.html

Quote Originally Posted by boomchakabowwow View Post

as far as the plastic? dunno. maybe it was a joke for a photo? personally, i like his "out of the box" thinking. what is that saying? "necessity is the mother of all invention".

onions dont bother me that much. some onions do affect me more..i've never really cared so much to note what changed..maybe the type of onion? my wife? it is like pepper spray for her.

When molecules are cold, they move slower thus slowing down the mixing of the gasses and sh1t that be all collaboratin wit yo face and stuff. Science. **** yeah!!!
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Supposedly the chemicals are concentrated near the roots so cutting that last also lessens the time for any kind of reaction.

do it directly under a hood vent, more air circulation the less it's going to hurt if at all. and yes, sharp knife, smooth technique, not rampant loud obnoxious slam cuts...