Couple of new sayas...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NO ChoP!

Old Head
Reaction score
First is Yosh yanagi in nicely figured birdseye maple; couldn't catch a very good photo, sorry.

saya yosh.jpg

Next is a Shig wearing chakte viga; my favorite wood thus far, except for the fact it filled my shop up with smoke.

saya shig.jpg

Both had very thick spines at the handle, hence the angled openings. No need for pins...

Really liking # 1. How long does it take you to put one of these together?

Thanks everyone. I'll try and capture a better angle in the morning.

I would say if I'm doing one, it takes about an hour in all, but I can do two in about an hour and half, etc...so the more I do at a time, the quicker I get them done.

So I took this at work, not a good pic at all, but you can get some idea of the wood figure. The shimmer doesn't show...

saya.jpg

Bird's eye maple is my absolute favourite wood for bowls and cutting boards. Cannot get enough.

Both had very thick spines at the handle, hence the angled openings. No need for pins...

I'm positive this is a dumb question but here goes anyway.. Why do they not need pins?

They look great btw :)

Well, they are friction fit to start, as in the cavity is the exact size of the knife.

Being that the machi was wider than the 1/8" spacer, I made the cut to where the machi tapers to 1/8" both top and bottom.

The sayas fit very snuggly, without pins.

Yup , this makes sense lol. Seems obvious now.!

The birdseye is gorgeous! But, it happens to be my favorite wood. I own a few cutting boards and wood spoons/spurtles in It. Beautiful work :)

the opening of the saya is not something you see everyday, i like it

Back