Quantcast
Bob Kramer Stainless Steel Damascus by Zwilling
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bob Kramer Stainless Steel Damascus by Zwilling

Bob Kramer Stainless Steel Damascus by Zwilling

Hello all,

This is my first post. Thank you all for helping me realize that many of the well advertised products I had always assumed to be the pinnacle of modern cutting were little more than puffed up marketing ploys.

I have a load of questions, but I will keep this post confined to a single subject: the Kramer Stainless Steel Damascus Knives by Zwilling. The Shun version of these knives have taken a lot of flak on the forum, but I haven’t seen anything writing about the Zwilling versions (currently available at SLT [I am not sure if I am allowed to post a link, but google will do the magic just as well]).

My wife and I are looking for some quality (and pretty) knives and are trying to decide between those and Misono X10s, so if anyone wants to chime in on that comparison, I would be much obliged. However, I am mostly curious as to whether people think that the Zwilling version of the Kramer SS Damascus is more or less on par with the other Zwilling Kramer knife (and thus better than the Shun [now discontinued]).

Thanks in advance for your time!

I've only used the carbon ZKramer, and it's a pretty fantastic knife. I really like the height of the blade, the large handle, the profile and the distal taper. The grind is nice and thin, but does create a fair bit of food sticking, because it's pretty danged flat. When paired with a tall blade, you'll notice more sticktion. Meh. As for whether or not the stainless version is better than Shun's - I'd blindly say yes. Zwilling has done a very nice job with the Kramer line, and if you want to fork out the money, they're really nice knives. You'll get many guys who will tell you not to spend so much on a "knock off", when you can get a lot of other great knives for the same price. However, someone recently said, "it's as close as I'll ever get to a Kramer, so why not?".

As for Misono, I love their work, but they're nothing fancy, and more of a very nice working knife than they are a piece to use and display, at home.

By the way - Welcome!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Welcome to KKF!

A quick search of the forum came up with this thread, which should answer most of your questions:

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...ing-Kramer-SG2

The search feature of the forum leaves a lot to be desired, so search using the Google function:

"<search term> site:www.kitchenknifeforums.com"

I used "kramer site:www.kitchenknifeforums.com" and the thread was on the second page.

Rick
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”

Without reading it, if I'm not mistaken, the Stainless version was a bit thicker(?), but compared well.
    09/06

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Without reading it, if I'm not mistaken, the Stainless version was a bit thicker(?), but compared well.
    It appears that way, but no actual measurements were provided, other than a weight difference of 16 grams. That, and the tip was said not to be as flexible.

Thanks all for the fast reply! The post you linked is exactly what I was looking for. Next time, I'll use the search function as suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by mturkel99 View Post
    Thanks all for the fast reply! The post you linked is exactly what I was looking for. Next time, I'll use the search function as suggested.
    You're welcome.

BTW, there is a Zwilling/Kramer stainless damascus paring knife for sale on B/S/T, if you are interested.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...s-Paring-Knife

And it's damn sexy!
    09/06

The WS Shun Kramer Meiji like is the balls. It SG2 is heated so well done. I think the cladding is a little nicer on the Zwilling I think the the handle on the Meiji is nicer, more custom and I'm into WA anyway. I have the 6" chef knife and at home, grab for it on a regular basis.
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

I have the Zwilling Kramer 5" carbon utility knife, and I have zero complaints about it. It's quickly become my go-to for all medium and small cutting scenarios. I don't like the profile on the chef's knife, though!
    Vestigia nulla retrorsum.

+ Reply to Thread