Quantcast
Bob Kramer Stainless Steel Damascus by Zwilling - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bob Kramer Stainless Steel Damascus by Zwilling

You know I looked at it more closely and now I am not so sure it isn't a mustard patina rather than a dammy pattern (I bought it used after all)! Anyway here are some pics, not great however, apologiesAttachment 19229Attachment 19230

Quote Originally Posted by Gravy Power View Post
    OP is there any particular reason you want to do damascus?
    In this case, two reasons.

First, it is pretty.

Second, I don't want to go carbon steel since I am not confident in my sharpening abilities. I live in NYC, so I can get my knives sharpened well when I need to, but I'd rather limit that to once in a while. If you guys think that the carbon steel is significantly better, then I might consider going that route.

Quote Originally Posted by mturkel99 View Post
    In this case, two reasons.

First, it is pretty.

Second, I don't want to go carbon steel since I am not confident in my sharpening abilities. I live in NYC, so I can get my knives sharpened well when I need to, but I'd rather limit that to once in a while. If you guys think that the carbon steel is significantly better, then I might consider going that route.

It is pretty, and if you're looking for a trophy knife it's quite pristine. For the money your willing to spend, you could almost get a custom From Del Ealy. But damascus isn't going to hold an edge anly longer that any other knife.

Carbon is easier to sharpen, typically takes a keener edge and holds it longer, just requires more maintenence. Above all though, if you're investing this much in a knife, I suggest you considering purchasing your own stones and learning to sharpen yourself.