Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which knife x 2

Which knife x 2

YAWG (yet another which gyuto) question.
    Second day on the forum and here I go, a bit more in free form because it's a more specific question.

I want to get a new knife for my parents, specifically a Gyuto 21 cm. Since my fathers idea of sharpening is pulling the edges of two knives together against each other a la Gordon Ramsey, and since I can't expect him to sharpen with or without a jig, I intend to give him a mino sharp which as pull throughs go, is not the worst.
    So, a 21 cm stainless steel Gyuto 50/50 bevel for up to $150 with a western handle. I will tell them to hand wash it, but I need something that can withstand occasional washing in a dishwasher.
    I live in the UK.
    And about that - I have a 21 cm stainless steel Gyuto, one of the freebies handed out by Korin on occasion when you spend more than $500 (hmm, which I did..). That one is 70/30, do you think it's possible to make that into 50/50, it's brand new and I think of sufficient quality for my purpose ?

Q2 - not sure if protocol requires another thread. Suppose I wanted a flashy damascus R2 knife, say a Gyuto 21-24cm, which of the following is actually the best knife overall
    Itou, Tanaka, Saji, Takamura. I have to admit I don't find the Itou handles particularly attractive, I prefer the ironwood ones, but from quality point of view, which one stands out, or are they all more or less the same ?
    Thanks

These are just my two cents, but for your parents I really would look at a k sabatier ss chef's knife. They are soft so they respond really well to a steel (and with that in mind a pull through sharpener) and they aren't too expensive, but still good knives. They have the 50/50 grind and a western handle. If your dad isn't sharpening then having the bolster shouldn't be an issue. In this same vein, if you're dead set on Japanese Gyuto maybe a Sakai Takayuki Grand Chef, they come in right around your price point. AEB-L is a good steel and these knives are not quite as hard as some of the other J knives, though it still hurts to think of one going through a mino sharp, or the dishwasher, ha.

Good luck!

Edit, added link to the Grand Chef, free international shipping for orders over $100

http://www.chuboknives.com/products/...3#.UlMqvVrh7ww

GLOBAL, MAC or Furi. I would pick the Furi based on the dishwasher criterion.

Forschner knives might be worth some consideration.
    You just think you know who he is.

Quote Originally Posted by unkajonet View Post
    Forschner knives might be worth some consideration.
    Talk about beater knives...I bought a full set of Victorinox knives for school and they are a care free knife for me....sharpen it up every so often on my JNS but when I don't have the time diamond steel is where its at stays a lot sharper than other knives that people use at school (Mercer)

Now Globals, why didn't I think of that. I've got a k sabatier carbon slicer, really nice, I will look also at the stainless steel chef knife.
    I don't recall seeing MAC or Sakai Takayuki grand chef knives in the UK, but I see there are a lot of good options in this price range, all better than what they have now.
    I think that if I try I can persuade them not to use the dishwasher, it's just one knife..

Any takers on the second question ?

The only R2 I have heard people rave about are the Tanaka's

Victorinox Forschner or the Tramontina damascus set at Amazon or Ebay. Both will run you less than $100 for a full set of what they need.

K-Sabatier, as most blades, will respond badly at frequent dishwasher use. Expect the POM handle to age much faster and become a little brittle; the rivets to oxidize and seem to retract -- in fact they're partially solved; the edge to become weak and chippy.

Yeah, dishwasher is bad, I can probably talk them out of it... I probably forgot to mention, since it's for my dad's birthday I will probably want to give them/him a Japanese knife, I think actually a Global will do just fine, they sure look smart, and they are two heads and three shoulders above what they've got now I believe. I would , as suggested consider MAC, but I don't recall seeing any in the UK.