recommendation: ~1000k natural stone

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swarth

Reaction score
Looking for a med-coarse step before Aoto. Something that will clean up after flattening/thinning with a DMT and give a consistent scratch pattern.

Thanks.

How does the White Binsui compare with the King 800 for cutting?

I have a JNS 1000 from Maksim and really like it. It does not dish much and does not need flattening very often.

Looking for a med-coarse step before Aoto. Something that will clean up after flattening/thinning with a DMT and give a consistent scratch pattern.

Thanks.

Quick ?

Do you have an Aoto already? if so which one? I am looking to get an Aoto

I like it. Super muddy. Raises a burr quickly. I go from it to a Hakka to strop. Just want something that will cleanup nicely after thinning or flattening. The King 800 leaves an ugly finish on the blade road IMHO.

I like it. Super muddy. Raises a burr quickly. I go from it to a Hakka to strop. Just want something that will cleanup nicely after thinning or flattening. The King 800 leaves an ugly finish on the blade road IMHO.

what do you use besides the king 800 what is your progression?

325 DMT > King 800 for flattening/thinning

Aoto > Hakka > strop for sharpening the edge

The goal is to replace the King with a natural and to use it for the same purpose.

I get a lot of questions about low grit Jnats not only from Knife users but also from Razor. Just to clear up some confusion
If you want to take out small chips set whole new bevel i will say Jnats suck !!! Way to slow :pirate1:

However if you want to maintain same edge or just use as a touch up they are actually bit better then synthetics for that as much less burr formation.

I use the DMT for heavy lifting....but need a step before the Aoto to clean up. Binsui?

I like my white binsui from JNS. It leaves a pretty nice and even finish. I use it with a botan nagura. By itself, the binsui is a little slow. As Maxim said, i wouldn't use the stone for chip repair or any heavy duty work -- just to get a nice even finish and remove the scratches from the previous stone.

I had a cheapo red amakusa that was garbage. The surface had a lot of holes and I would get grit breaking off while sharpening. It also wasn't consistent across the whole surface. A brown/red area was noticeably harder than the rest of the stone. There are a lot of amakusas and binsuis around that aren't well suited to knives.

I've never used a King 800, so I cant compare the binsui for that. Sorry!

I use the Gesshin 400 after the atoma 140 and before the king 800 on wide single bevel knives. Leaves a dark faux kasumi that I now take to the JKI synthetic aoto. Works great. Basically no visible scratch pattern.

Latest posts

Back