Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mustard finish

mustard finish

I have no idea how this going to work, butt here goes.
    O1 steel with french's mustard patina. Dabbed on with index finger.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0458a.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	740
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Still gotta work on the lighting!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Spike,

Looks pretty good. Try thinning the mustard next time with just a bit of vinegar.

Rick

Thanks, Rick! I'll try that on another blade, I really like the way this one came out, it looks like exotic flowers in person!
    Spike C
    Pirsig

BTW, this steel is really non-reactive to most of what I cut with it.
    Spike C
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    BTW, this steel is really non-reactive to most of what I cut with it.
    Yeah, I've got an O1 nakiri that patinas quickly, but hardly reacts at all. Not at all like SK4.

That is a cool pattern! Looks like flowers.

IME the patina gets dark FAST where the mustard is thinnest. You can create patterns by inverting the design, so to speak. Put a thick layer on, and then work quickly to rub down where you want it darker, and wait a few minutes. I did this with a parer recently to put some angled stripes on it, and it worked great.

Plus I love the smell of mustard.

That looks cool! i am going to do my first mustard finish here soon...good to see a finished product with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Davis View Post
    That looks cool! i am going to do my first mustard finish here soon...good to see a finished product with it.
    I wonder if there is a way to make more controlled impressions. Now that I work with 52100, I will have to play with it a bit.

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

If you really wanted to make something exact, you could always make a stencil out of good masking tape. If it's pressed down really well, and you have a really fine scratch pattern in your blade, I don't see the mustard bleeding through. You could warm the blade up, do mustard for the grey/brown colour, let it sit. Clean it off and set it with mineral oil for a day or so. Follow that up with a nice red meat patina, set in between your mustard pattern and you'd get a great blue and grayish, interwoven look to the blade.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com