Quantcast
mustard finish
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mustard finish

mustard finish

I have no idea how this going to work, butt here goes.
    O1 steel with french's mustard patina. Dabbed on with index finger.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0458a.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	740
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Still gotta work on the lighting!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Spike,

Looks pretty good. Try thinning the mustard next time with just a bit of vinegar.

Rick

Thanks, Rick! I'll try that on another blade, I really like the way this one came out, it looks like exotic flowers in person!
    Spike C
    Pirsig

BTW, this steel is really non-reactive to most of what I cut with it.
    Spike C
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    BTW, this steel is really non-reactive to most of what I cut with it.
    Yeah, I've got an O1 nakiri that patinas quickly, but hardly reacts at all. Not at all like SK4.

That is a cool pattern! Looks like flowers.

IME the patina gets dark FAST where the mustard is thinnest. You can create patterns by inverting the design, so to speak. Put a thick layer on, and then work quickly to rub down where you want it darker, and wait a few minutes. I did this with a parer recently to put some angled stripes on it, and it worked great.

Plus I love the smell of mustard.

That looks cool! i am going to do my first mustard finish here soon...good to see a finished product with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Davis View Post
    That looks cool! i am going to do my first mustard finish here soon...good to see a finished product with it.
    I wonder if there is a way to make more controlled impressions. Now that I work with 52100, I will have to play with it a bit.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

If you really wanted to make something exact, you could always make a stencil out of good masking tape. If it's pressed down really well, and you have a really fine scratch pattern in your blade, I don't see the mustard bleeding through. You could warm the blade up, do mustard for the grey/brown colour, let it sit. Clean it off and set it with mineral oil for a day or so. Follow that up with a nice red meat patina, set in between your mustard pattern and you'd get a great blue and grayish, interwoven look to the blade.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com