Quantcast
(UK) Global 5 Knife block - any good? Any decent alternatives? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: (UK) Global 5 Knife block - any good? Any decent alternatives?

Seems a pretty resounding "No" to getting this Global set.

I think if it was a bit cheaper still, it might be worth getting, but at £200 cost, I'm highly doubtful that even if I bought the set, and split the knives to sell separately, that I'd get my money back. Seems like more hassle than it's worth possibly.

There are better knives around at that price point, the problem is getting them in the UK without having to pay a lot of shipping and tax.
    Are you after good knives which don't need much looking after or great knives that need a bit more TLC?

These, for example, are ok, don't need much looking after and are on par with Global IMO.
    http://www.edenwebshops.co.uk/en/ct/...assic-vg10.htm

I used and sharpened a friends Damascus clad version, and whilst it wasn't amazing it was better than most knives I use at other people's houses.

If you want something better, Maxim on this forum, Dictum and dieter Schmidt in Germany, and jck all have a good selection and are easy to get to the UK.

Thanks for the welcome Dave - and thanks for all the comments I've had so far - it's really appreciated.
    £200 to some people might be not a lot to some knifeheads, but it's a large amount of money to me, so getting some solid advice on a subject I know next to heehaw about is great.
    Much obliged.

Welcome Ludwig. Skip the Globals.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Take a look at the jck website. There are some affordable brands there and I think the shipping is reasonable.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

dont get lured into anything Richmond. I made that mistake and regretted it

Quote Originally Posted by TB_London View Post
    There are better knives around at that price point, the problem is getting them in the UK without having to pay a lot of shipping and tax.
    Are you after good knives which don't need much looking after or great knives that need a bit more TLC?

These, for example, are ok, don't need much looking after and are on par with Global IMO.
    http://www.edenwebshops.co.uk/en/ct/...assic-vg10.htm

I used and sharpened a friends Damascus clad version, and whilst it wasn't amazing it was better than most knives I use at other people's houses.

If you want something better, Maxim on this forum, Dictum and dieter Schmidt in Germany, and jck all have a good selection and are easy to get to the UK.
    +1 to all this. I'd certainly take a look at JCK - their Kagayaki stainless knives are very good value for money, they also stock the Fujiwara FKM knives which are highly praised. a 210mm gyuto and 150mm petty would be a good core set imo. A significant step up in performance (if you can accept a little less shininess and a little more care) would be the JCK Kagayaki carbonext, which are made from tool steel.

Maxim at JNS sells wonderful knives but probably a little outside your budget. As TB points out, many more expensive knives require significantly more care than e.g. Global, which are stainless and pretty tough.

In my opinion, you're better off staying away from sets and buying your pieces individually. With set I think that you are more likely to get a few knives in that set that are crappy. Maybe a 210mm Gyuto, a paring knife and a bread knife? Also it's a good idea to get a 1000 grit whet stone for keeping your knives sharp and a honing rod {steel} and don't use your bread knife on your steel either!