Quantcast
Does anyone have the carbon ITK
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone have the carbon ITK

Does anyone have the carbon ITK

There have been quite a few sold and I haven't heard anything about them. I'm curious to see how it compares to other carbons like Carter.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

I've been curious about the carbon ITK as well. I figured the silence on the carbon version meant it hasn't been selling well. I might pick one up, but I have been waiting for someone to say something about it.

If nobody chimes in about it, maybe I need to be the guinea pig...
    Len

I picked one up a while back, but haven't had the opportunity to use it much. It's significantly larger than the 240 AEB-L:

The 52100 takes a patina easily and doesn't appear to be very reactive to foods. I've only stropped the edge Devin put on it, so I can't speak to how easily it sharpens.

I've been meaning to get a review up, but there's just so much time in a day.

Rick

You need a bugger day!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    You need a bugger day!
    Don't we all...

I am going to kill the iPad! Or shut off "auto-correct".
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I have the 240 in carbon and the 270 in AEB-L. I tend to use the carbon 240 over the 270 either due to size preference or material prefence- I can't say which.

The steel takes a great edge and holds it. It is hard but has good feedback on my stones (Bester 1200/Rika 5000/ Chosera 10k/ strop on cardboard.)

Recently, I left it on a cutting board at school for a Con Ed class and one of the students that was helping with the class did me a favor and ran it through the dish machine when I stepped out of the room for a moment. All I can say it it takes a licking and keeps on ticking. The handle looked slightly dry prior to an application of camellia oil. A slight rust developed from the dish machine which was removed with mud from the Chosera on a cork. (I now carry a TKC in my kit when I teach.)

Quote Originally Posted by evanjohnson View Post
    I have the 240 in carbon and the 270 in AEB-L. I tend to use the carbon 240 over the 270 either due to size preference or material prefence- I can't say which.

The steel takes a great edge and holds it. It is hard but has good feedback on my stones (Bester 1200/Rika 5000/ Chosera 10k/ strop on cardboard.)

Recently, I left it on a cutting board at school for a Con Ed class and one of the students that was helping with the class did me a favor and ran it through the dish machine when I stepped out of the room for a moment. All I can say it it takes a licking and keeps on ticking. The handle looked slightly dry prior to an application of camellia oil. A slight rust developed from the dish machine which was removed with mud from the Chosera on a cork. (I now carry a TKC in my kit when I teach.)
    Please don't take your new Ealy to class. Oh, the horror!

Quote Originally Posted by evanjohnson View Post

It sounds like a winner. I just don't why its not more popular. Mark normally has them in stock.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by rockbox View Post
    It sounds like a winner. I just don't why its not more popular. Mark normally has them in stock.
    All the sheeple think they need stainless so they don't have to worry about caring for it... but really carbon isn't all that difficult to take care of.

+ Reply to Thread