Does anyone have the carbon ITK

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockbox

Founding Member
Reaction score
There have been quite a few sold and I haven't heard anything about them. I'm curious to see how it compares to other carbons like Carter.

I've been curious about the carbon ITK as well. I figured the silence on the carbon version meant it hasn't been selling well. I might pick one up, but I have been waiting for someone to say something about it.

If nobody chimes in about it, maybe I need to be the guinea pig... :D

I picked one up a while back, but haven't had the opportunity to use it much. It's significantly larger than the 240 AEB-L:

f8e40f06.jpg

The 52100 takes a patina easily and doesn't appear to be very reactive to foods. I've only stropped the edge Devin put on it, so I can't speak to how easily it sharpens.

I've been meaning to get a review up, but there's just so much time in a day.

Rick

I am going to kill the iPad! Or shut off "auto-correct".

I have the 240 in carbon and the 270 in AEB-L. I tend to use the carbon 240 over the 270 either due to size preference or material prefence- I can't say which.

The steel takes a great edge and holds it. It is hard but has good feedback on my stones (Bester 1200/Rika 5000/ Chosera 10k/ strop on cardboard.)

Recently, I left it on a cutting board at school for a Con Ed class and one of the students that was helping with the class did me a favor and ran it through the dish machine when I stepped out of the room for a moment. All I can say it it takes a licking and keeps on ticking. The handle looked slightly dry prior to an application of camellia oil. A slight rust developed from the dish machine which was removed with mud from the Chosera on a cork. (I now carry a TKC in my kit when I teach.)

I have the 240 in carbon and the 270 in AEB-L. I tend to use the carbon 240 over the 270 either due to size preference or material prefence- I can't say which.

The steel takes a great edge and holds it. It is hard but has good feedback on my stones (Bester 1200/Rika 5000/ Chosera 10k/ strop on cardboard.)

Recently, I left it on a cutting board at school for a Con Ed class and one of the students that was helping with the class did me a favor and ran it through the dish machine when I stepped out of the room for a moment. All I can say it it takes a licking and keeps on ticking. The handle looked slightly dry prior to an application of camellia oil. A slight rust developed from the dish machine which was removed with mud from the Chosera on a cork. (I now carry a TKC in my kit when I teach.)

Please don't take your new Ealy to class. Oh, the horror!

It sounds like a winner. I just don't why its not more popular. Mark normally has them in stock.

It sounds like a winner. I just don't why its not more popular. Mark normally has them in stock.

All the sheeple think they need stainless so they don't have to worry about caring for it... but really carbon isn't all that difficult to take care of.

I am very new to the knife thing so I will probably take the carbon plunge at some point, but it is not lack of care that has me hesitant to go carbon. More when I read about smell and coloring when cutting certain foods. I do like the patina on a lot of posts, however.

All the sheeple think they need stainless so they don't have to worry about caring for it... but really carbon isn't all that difficult to take care of.
For me, it isn't the care. It's that the edge doesn't last all that long given the food I tend to cut most of the time and it discolors a lot of the food I tend to cut most of the time. I've spent a fair amount of time and expense trying to make it work, too.

Yeah, care isn't an issue for me, even in a pro kitchen. I wipe my stainless knives constantly too. It is the discoloring food and odor some can give off that bothers me. I really really loved Rader's W2 though, after I formed a patina (naturally, just sliced some mid rare steaks), it was as well behaved as any semi-stainless and some stainless steels I have used. Didn't discolor any food, didn't smell unless you put your nose right up to it. I never left it with any moisture on it or anything, but it didn't seem prone to rust either.

I've had the 270 AEB-L ITK on pre-order for several months with Mark, and he said that he's expecting to ship my order soon.

I'm really looking forward to receiving this soon, as I've heard great things about DT's work (even if this ITK isn't a custom built model). But the general impression I'm getting from this thread is that it's not a best seller, or am I mistaken?

I guess carbon wins out. But if anyone has any reviews of either DT knife, I'd love to hear them. Cheers!

He was saying the AEB-L knives sell better than the carbon versions of the DT ITK line.

You are getting a great knife, I have the same thing you preordered. Even though it is expensive by most people's standards, it is a great value and all around great gyuto. Even though it is the ITK line it is well made.

He was saying the AEB-L knives sell better than the carbon versions of the DT ITK line.

You are getting a great knife, I have the same thing you preordered. Even though it is expensive by most people's standards, it is a great value and all around great gyuto. Even though it is the ITK line it is well made.

+1 I have a 270 in AEB-L. It's a very good all around knife. It is very comfortable to use, well designed (fairly thin at the tip, flatish area near the heel and a bit thicker at the heel for tougher cutting but maybe a touch thicker than I'd like), robust and the steel sharpens very easily and takes and holds a very keen edge. It's definitely one of the better stainless options out there in the ~$300 range.

I've had the 270 AEB-L ITK on pre-order for several months with Mark, and he said that he's expecting to ship my order soon.

I'm really looking forward to receiving this soon, as I've heard great things about DT's work (even if this ITK isn't a custom built model). But the general impression I'm getting from this thread is that it's not a best seller, or am I mistaken?

I guess carbon wins out. But if anyone has any reviews of either DT knife, I'd love to hear them. Cheers!

As many as stated before me, DT can't make enough AEB-L versions which is why you have been waiting so long for yours. The carbon ones stay in stock for a much longer period of time and I was wondering why many people haven't bought them. 52100 is one of the best carbon steels out there and there aren't very many choices of knives with this steel for under $1000.

I was wondering why people haven't bought it, since 52100 is one of the best carbon steel out there and there aren't very many choices of knives with this steel for under $1000.

Kramer launched his Zwilling 52100 line to be a direct competitor to Devin's ITK carbon line. :D

Ah, ok. That's good to hear. Thanks to everyone for the positive feedback, and I can't wait to get the DT in.

Thanks again

I am in the same boat Mindbender. Just patiently waiting for my DT 240 Western AEB-L ITK. Mark had said 3 months (although he thought earlier at the time), which would put it somewhere around the middle of June.

I am in the same boat Mindbender. Just patiently waiting for my DT 240 Western AEB-L ITK. Mark had said 3 months (although he thought earlier at the time), which would put it somewhere around the middle of June.

That's funny, as Mark had spoken to Devin the day after I emailed him (Mark). He said that he was hoping to receive them from DT in a couple of days, but that was almost two weeks ago.

I'm not upset or anything, but I'm waiting anxiously for it to arrive. I'm still debating every day whether to actually use the knife or mount it over my stove. It's really a work of art, IMHO.

Let me know when you get it! Cheers!

If I remember the last update correctly, it sounds like you will get yours first. I think it was the 270's, then the 240 westerns. Ordered around the 3rd week of March, with the stated expectation that it could take up to 3 months, but Mark stated at the time that it should be much sooner than that. I was not counting on the much sooner part as Devin is incredibly busy with custom (and I imagine much more profitable) work. I am not upset at all, and it sounds like it should be around the 3 month range as they are nearing completion.....just anxious for the knife to get here. I have only taken a slight plunge to date, a few Tojiro's, 270 PS Gyuto, a boning knife, and a parer.......was looking forward to an upgrade. And now I will have to keep my eye out for something for Dave to re-handle after the coupon I just got, lol.

Back