Media Modern Techniques/Theories with Heston Blumenthal

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Nguyen

Reaction score
[video=youtube;03h5T_tiyx0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03h5T_tiyx0[/video]

Heston is the owner of The Fat Duck, a 3 Michelin star restaurant in England that seems to have some very interesting techniques and dishes.

He has a few different series out there. I really like the "How to cook like Heston", where he chooses one big topic (beef, chicken, potatoes, etc) and covers some big points, and "In Search of Perfection", where he chooses one signature dish and goes in-depth on what can make it really work. I really enjoy his approach and how he presents his knowledge. Some can be controversial and impractical, but it's very cool how they come to development.

I'm not very familiar with cooking at all, so I'd like to hear your thoughts!

Watch his how to make triple cooked fries. Best dam fries I have ever made, and I will never go back to another method. Tried it with duck fat and its even better, but I find getting duck fat here in Germany a challenge.

What a great cooking show he puts on. Never heard of Heston until now but I love the mix of established cooking science and passionate cooking. Alton Brown does a bit more on the food science end but I don't get the feeling that I want to eat the results. This food looks like it has to taste great. It is clear he loves what he does. I'm going to watch more of these for sure! Thanks for the link.

There is an 'In Search of Perfection' book as well. It's a really enjoyable read if you like to geek out over food. His passion and commitment to detail and research is awesome... I would love to eat at one of his restaurants someday.

I haven't read his Fat Duck cookbook but it is massive. I'm sure it's worth it if you're really interested in molecular gastronomy/creative approaches to food. He just released another cookbook that is huge & explores historic British gastronomy in-depth. I'd love to read it but it's hard to justify spending $120+ on yet another cookbook when there are so many knives and stones to have :wink:

I just put the "Heston Bluemanthal at home" book on my Christmas list after looking over his books on amazon (around 35.00). It looks like the most pragmatic book for me to start trying out some of Hestons recipes. I usually find a lot of my favorite recipes in the "cooking at home" books of great chefs. Can't wait to try out the triple cooked fries! Cheers!

Back