Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Install-It-Yourself Hanldes - New Possible Product

Install-It-Yourself Hanldes - New Possible Product

I am in the process of renting more space for a leather workshop, so I need to generate some additional income to meet the higher overhead cost. I have been entertaining different ideas, lately. Haven't made any decisions yet, but the new lease will start as of November, and I need to make some moves.

The handles will be D, octagonal and possibly Western (for hidden tang knives).

I would make them for a specific type (gyuto, suji, petty, etc) and lengh. Spacers are included, unless requested otherwise.

Woods will be cocobolo, ebony, lignum vitae, possibly ziricote, wenge, stabilized figured maple (birdseye, tiger, quilted), and some others locally available and what I have on hand. I still have a good amount of horn, so some will be available with horn ferrules.

I won't be making metal tip handle for Install-It-Yourself as those need to be fitted and made to order. You will likely need to do a little bit of filing tang slot, and epoxying the handle, but not more. I will come up with instructions on old handle removal and new handle installation.

Cost will be in the area of $120-140 per handle (depending on wood), domestic shipping included.

Please note, these won't be custom handles, that is I won't be accepting woods for these, but I might take some information on tang height and thickness and form the tang slot accordingly for a cleaner installation. I am pretty picky about wood selection, so I will make sure that woods will meet your expectations.

Thanks,

Marko

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I quite like the sound of this...
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Just wanted to add that these will be quality handles, shaped and finished to the same standard as my custom. For right or left hand use (D style).

M

I can imagine this making forgecraft conversions one of the coolest mid budget knives around and easy as hell to boot. Looking forward to it.

Gave this project a little more thought and decided that I again need to ask you for help.
    I need some input on what handles to make, so the end product is as close to users' preferences as possible.

I removed name/phone number fields, so the input is anonymous

The information I am after is the height of a machi (neck), thickness at the tang, type and lengh of a knife, handle material preferences, ferrule preferences and handle type preferences (my guess would be D mostly, but western and octagonal might also be of interest). If I know the preferences, I can make as close to as possible without it being a custom. Please fill out the survey below.

Thanks You -

Install-It-Yourself Handles Survey

Hi folks,
    thanks to those of you who filled out the survey.

There is a small issue with the machi. J knives often notch the machi, but they don't do it symmetrically, hence the height at the top and bottom of the notch is different (often the bottom is is taller). if the tang hole is done symmetrically, the machi will shift downwards.

I added a two new fields to the survey inquiring about that.

Working on an example of Install-It-Yourself handle, will post pics tomorrow.

Install-It-Yourself Handles Survey

After finally getting to try out your handles today I would definately be interested in these, it's also an advantage for those who aren't in the US where shipping the knife return adds quite significantly to the cost. Sign me up
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

i would definitely be interested in a D-shaped handle for a gyuto, ebony with greyish/blondish horn and nickel silver spacer and i would like to volunteer for the first try!

marko, please don't forget to set aside a piece of horn for my custom gyuto...

Well, the aim is to make them affordable and require as little work for the end user installing the handle as possible, so I am going to think a little more how to accomplish it.

Different thickness knives will require different approach (I don't drill a huge hole that would accept all tangs and would require a lot of epoxy to fill, rather drill a slot that is slightly larger than the tang). I will try to come up with an approach in a couple of days.

These will be made along my customs so availability will be limited.

M

once you've found a way how to accomplish everything, please let me know. i have a blade here which is waiting for a gorgeous handle... so i am officially signing up here for one of these handles (specs above)!