Quantcast
Install-It-Yourself Hanldes - New Possible Product - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Install-It-Yourself Hanldes - New Possible Product

Cocobolo, nickel silver spacer, horn. For pictures of the handle on the knife, click here

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0567.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	19408

Name:	DSC_0565.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	19409

Name:	DSC_0566.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	19410

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.
    -Niels Bohr

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I'm really liking the shape of this handle, my favourite wa handle right now is an octagon Devin Thomas with perfect taper. Really look forward to trying this shape out. Big +1 on this project for international customers as Huw said.

Would love to get one of your handles for a 300mm suji I have!
    "Those who say it can't be done are always pasted by those doing it"

The more I think about it, the more I lean to have them custom-made (from stock materials) but self-install, to account for tang thickness, uneven notching on the machi, machi height, handle size preferences, etc.

Making them one-fits-all doesn't seem to bode well with me.

M

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.
    -Niels Bohr

That makes sense, nothing would be worse than a beautiful handle with a sloppy fit.
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Yes, that is what I am after. Also, I think D style is a bit more personal - one needs to account for user's preferences.

So, I guess I just made a decision.

Once I am ready for these, I will set up a form on my site where orders could be submitted. Will post an announcement here, along with stock woods samples.

I will start with a couple of international customers to test how things work and made adjustment as needed. One thing that self-install folks might want to consider is getting an inexpensive grinder. Comes handy thinning a tang among other things. When a tang is thinner at the machi than elsewhere (pretty common thing on J. knives), you won't get a clean installation - the tang hole has to accommodate the thickest part of the tang. Some just fill it with epoxy, but I personally like no space.

Thanks everybody who chimed in.

M

-Niels Bohr

I am glad to repeat that I would volunteer to be one of those "international customers"!

This project is going to start in the middle of November. I need to think a little bit more how to run it efficiently, but I will go ahead with it.

M

-Niels Bohr

Going to produce several of these in D and octagonal shape. Will do this batch for 240-270mm gyutos.

Choices of wood is cocobolo or maple, tang slot will be shaped to 3mm (I can shape it to any width you want upon request), internal tang slot will accommodate a tang up to 1/4 thick and about 4 3/4" deep.

These will have a buffalo horn ferrule and nickel silver spacer.

I am offering these as economy handles for DIY folks, but if anybody wants to send a knife for installation (and other services, like machi squaring, choil forming and polishing, knife refinishing, etc), please pm for an estimate on the cost.

Thanks,

Marko

-Niels Bohr

Definitely In for a maple D shaped for a 240...

+ Reply to Thread