3k between 1k and 5k??

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am debating whether to get a 3k stone between my 1k bester and 5k rika since dave has a 3k splash and go that looks interesting.

I'm a bit confused on the advantages and disadvantages to using a middle stone.

Can anyone help?

TIA

Gary-

What are you trying to achieve with with the 3k? I could see it if it "set up" the 5k in some way. My mindset has changed from progressing through grits to what the stones do to the edge of the knife.

well besides stones are cool - basically I just want to get that magic polished for protein yet toothy for tomatoes edge as easily as possible - it's why i am in love with my 1 and 3 diamond spray balsa strop for the absolute final step in my polishing sequence.

I am debating whether to get a 3k stone between my 1k bester and 5k rika since dave has a 3k splash and go that looks interesting.

I'm a bit confused on the advantages and disadvantages to using a middle stone.

Can anyone help?

TIA
IIRC after BDL's review in another forum, one of Rika's properties is to start as a 3k, and get the refinement to 5k only after longer sharpening and new mud creation with nagura. This is how I remember it, I can't verify BDL's statement, never owned a Rika.

Back