How to decide which knife to seel ???

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vangelis

Reaction score
This may not be an intelligent question, but how do you decide which knife to sell when "emotions" are there? :O

I am not a professional cook/chef, but still, I like spending a lot of time at the kitchen and I appreciate good knives. However, I have an "increasing" number of knives and I would like to thin my collection. One of the knives to go a 4 Guytos/Chefs knife. I have two candidates, both which aren't performing as good as rest of them.

I tried both of them today while preparing dinner, and I have found the one I would have preferred to keep, but I still keep coming with reasons for not selling the other (such as, softer steel I can use it a knife to abuse, if I thin it it will be perfect, isn't really reactive so can take abuse from guests ... = my 1st carbon knife)

So how can I make my mind ...

Any help :angel2:

Take the knife you are thinking of selling, put it in its box, wrap the box in paper so you won't keep opening it up to look at the knife and label it with the date. Then put it in your dresser drawer. Wait an arbitrary amount of time, maybe a month, maybe six, it's up to you. If after that time you haven't unwrapped the knife and used it, you will probably find it's easy to sell.

Take the knife you are thinking of selling, put it in its box, wrap the box in paper so you won't keep opening it up to look at the knife and label it with the date. Then put it in your dresser drawer. Wait an arbitrary amount of time, maybe a month, maybe six, it's up to you. If after that time you haven't unwrapped the knife and used it, you will probably find it's easy to sell.
really cool advice. usually my decisions to sell knives come spur of the moment.

If you need the money, you'll sell the knife. If you want to upgrade, or fund a new hobby, you'll sell the knife. Otherwise, just keep it. Most of the time you'll be losing money on the knife, and eventually will regret getting rid of it.

For those that I sold I just thought of others actually using them and enjoying them whereas with me they were sitting in a drawer or in my knife roll not being used

I have several I need to sell, but am having the darned-est time trying to figure which ones. Every time I think I can part with one I pick it up, use it and fall in love all over again. *sigh*

Some very nice suggestions. Indeed I dont need to sell the knife for refinancing something else but simply I know shortly (once our new kitchen is done and the good knives are out) it will get dusty... :)

Now I need to have more posts so I can use the BST sub-forum :D

Back