Cooks Illustrated on storing knives in block

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
While one has to take anything those guys say about knives with a fair amount of salt, this is so amusing I thought I'd share it. In the latest (Nov-Dec 2013 issue, pg3), they say that their tests show that if you store knives in a block with spine down (the opposite of how I and most everyone stores them I think), they stay sharper much longer...

This is certainly amusing and useful if true...

The knives I have in a block are spine down to protect the edge.

@#$% !! What do I do?? My block has horizontal slots...Should I aim the edges to the left or the right??? I don't want to get this wrong and mess up all my sharp edges...

Funny! +1

Yep my main blocks have them left to right as well, I figure in that case I place the spine at the beginning of the hole as seems obvious. I did have one small block with up down slots I confess where I had them edge down :- (

On another note these guys recommend a universal knife holder. This implies that they don't have very sharp knives. I tried one of those with my knives and they cut the skewers when I pulled them out, dulled my knives something awful...

@#$% !! What do I do?? My block has horizontal slots...Should I aim the edges to the left or the right??? I don't want to get this wrong and mess up all my sharp edges...

To the right. ;)

The Wusthof in drawer block is the most handy "block" I've used. It is too short for anything over 240, but it works great for what it is.

I don't have enough counter space to have a bulky ass block taking up a bunch of room and I have to many knives for a block anyway. I made some nice Oak magnetic strips for the wall.

No... No... No... It depends if you are north or south or the equator! Kind of like the toilet flushing opposite direction when you are in Australia! :spin chair:

Back