Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some questions about carbon steels

As personal preference really. I would take most stainless to 3 or 4k, as I feel the edge becomes slick with anything higher. Most carbons will retain some toothiness past 6k. I think newer stainlesses like aeb-l and others I've yet to try may break this mold. There is no science to this claim, though.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Also, in response to the reference to German knives; this is where the heat treat really does make a difference as many of these knives have a much lower hrc. I think it's the softness of the steel, and not the steel itself that keeps it from holding a high polished edge. I have a few very old carbons that seem rather hard; I'd guess 58 or 59ish; that take a 6k edge ans stropping beautifully.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

I rather belief it's the crazy large carbides who limit the possibilities. My much softer French carbons benefit from a relatively high polish.

Thanks again for all the replys. I think I've got my head around the basics of it.