Quantcast
Home cook vs professional - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Home cook vs professional

awww boomchakabowwow you would like my full set of nogent peltex spatulas from france

Quote Originally Posted by Geo87 View Post
    I've been thinking alot lately how I'm so thankfull I'm a chef or cook (depending on your country) that's obsessed with knives and not a home cook obsessed with knives .

1. I can justify (kind of) my purchases as they are tools of my trade
    2. I get to use my knives for hours and hours everyday
    3. I have an endless arsenal of food to turn into shreds with these "tools"
    4. I can infect others at work and then get to see and play with more "tools"
    5.I can test my edge durability by sliced 20kg of onions...

What the heck do you do as a home cook & knife enthusiast ?
    It must be frustrating... Like do any home cooks put on dinners for friends just as an excuse to use their knives more???
    I feel for you, if I couldn't work in kitchens I think I'd go mad!
    Yeah, thats all true. But the home cook earns more money so they can buy knives for fun! Oh, but you didn't say what job the home cook has? Answer: it doesn't matter.

I've been thinking alot lately how I'm so thankfull I'm a chef or cook (depending on your country) that's obsessed with knives and not a home cook obsessed with knives .

It must be frustrating... Like do any home cooks put on dinners for friends just as an excuse to use their knives more???

As a "Home cook and Knife enthusiast".....I grind out my own knives

Home cook here who has a ton of respect for you pros. The hours you guys work would kill me. I don't have too many friends or family who appreciate quality food, but I enjoy cooking for my wife who always appreciates what I prepare. I have weekends to cook, weekdays for leftovers and eating out at the many great restaurants and unique eateries outside of NYC. I get to cook often yet still spend time with my wife and son.

I'm a home cook and I have a knife hanging on my wall that if Julia Child walked in to cook something she would say "I'll use this one here dear"

I love my knives no matter what I have used them all.

I envy the pros because you are artists of food, you create, you have style, you have panache, and usually have the good herb.

Yes the hours any the money are indeed terrible for most
    So it seems home cooks win on most fronts. I'm very jealous of home cooks that have time to cook for your family's!
    My OP was more about a light hearted look at the truly knife obsessed individual. As a bottom line, you can't use yours as much at home... Without getting funny looks or concern from family

I truly wish I could be home more, and had the time to cook for family and friends.
    But funnily enough, despite everything , and all the b.s we put up with. I wouldn't change a thing! I love what I do and I don't care about money ok well that's a lie... But it helps if I tell my self this to justify my choice of career.
    The reason I say I'd go crazy if I didn't work in kitchens? It's too late for me I'm a cook, through and through, if I changed industry's now it would be like trying to dress up a pirate and call him a business man
    Arrrrrr

Home cook here that does not even cook enough to justify a lot of the purchases. You could probably put me know in the loves high performance tools camp, although I always have the intention to cook more.

I also would like to put in a vote that the use of my knives and the sharpening of them are definitely stress relieving activities.

And anyone else find hobbitling's avatar creepy?

As a home cook and enthusiast I can tell you it is great.
    1. I make enough where I dont need to justify my purchases
    2. I probably dont get to use my knives as much daily as a pro would, but I also dont have to if I dont want to either. Some days we all like a break, even from things that we love and enjoy.
    3. I can cook what I want, for whom I want, when I want. For example this Sunday I decided to cook with beer. Made a beer fondue dip, beer marinated fajitas, and asian chicken with a beer glaze. All because I could and wanted to. No menu limits, no one telling what the theme is, or any other limitations. I also host large parties and cook all the food. Usually about 50 adults and 15-20 kids. And love making it all myself.
    4. I too have shared the gift of knives. I have given many people who like to cook their first jknife and several have now started buying on their own.
    5. Edge retention isnt a concern for me because I never have to cut 20kg of onions in a day.

mmmmm.....beer cooking!

50 adults and 15-20 kids. And love making it all myself.
    You like cooking more than I do for sure.
    'The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.' -Henry Ford