Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Home cook vs professional

Hotel kitchens were my domain for 30 yrs.Plus had an Ice Carving business on the side.Using knives forced me to get good gear.Union hotels no more help than you need,so must work fast,knife is your main tool so sharp edge is important.It can be stressful with limited help & a bunch of banquet sheets hanging.It doesn't help to get excited,emotional.I learned out of survival that being calm & organized works best & ask for help if you need it.

My love of knives came out of my job & sharpening skills.Now I'm retired so hang out on my favorite forum.I like to cook for my friends,still cook most nights.I have no problem with home cooks buying nice knives & sharpening equipment.Some of these home dudes are excellent sharpeners much better than vast majority of pro cooks.

I'm a tool junkie too like things that need to be sharpened,Axes,Machete's,Wood chisels,Folders,kitchen knives,garden tools.My feeling is the more sharpeners on stones out there the better no matter if home or Pro.

Lol, it speaks very poorly for the industry but I agree, most chefs/cooks knife knowledge & sharpening skills are absolutely terrible! If your a regular on these forums I'd say your a better sharpener than 90 % of professionals I've met ....

Home cook here. I definitely don't get to use my knives as much as I'd like... nor can I get my wife to use as many of my knives as I'd like

It's true that when you combine a strong interest in knives and getting them in top shape with the amount of time a home cook is likely to spend in the kitchen that you can get a bit of... knife-use blue-balls, as it were. It's a busy time at the office right now, so I tend to get home a little late, and practically the third thing I ask my wife each weekday evening is, "Is there anything I can help with in the kitchen?"

What I'm really asking is, "Is there any reason at all for me to use one of my knives?" Seriously, on some days, I'm happy when she "throws me a bone" and asks me to dice up some garlic or an onion.

However, at other times, usually on weekends, it's great to let loose and just make what I want to make and use what I want to use.

What also frustrates me about lack of time in the kitchen - including time with knife and board - is the inability to keep refining my skills because the time gap in between sessions means I'm just keeping my skills where they were or even playing catchup because my technique or skill somewhere is a little rusty. Slow progress towards the kind of excellence in the kitchen I aspire to, not just in terms of how the food turns out but also how smoothly everything went in the kitchen to make and plate it.
    Len

a pro buys all their own knives?

i know my stepdad got each of his chefs their knives..he said that way they dont steal his.

it is just knives? the rest of the tools the restaurant owns, right?

please show us home guys a peek of the "inner circle" please! dont high end knives get stolen? i would use a forschener knife in a public kitchen..hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by echerub View Post
    knife-use blue-balls, as it were.
    This is something I never would have though knifes could cause. Good one Len!
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

I've used Many fine blades in kitchens never lost any of them with the exception of a Masamoto petty.Pepper grinders,Tongs,spatulas, measuring cups etc. I have lost & recovered some when I hunt them down.

Quote Originally Posted by Geo87 View Post
    1. I can justify (kind of) my purchases as they are tools of my trade
    Justify? What is this justify? When you're a home cook your loved ones fall on their knees and offer you new knives as a small token of their gratitude and adoration.

Quote Originally Posted by Geo87 View Post
    4. I can infect others at work and then get to see and play with more "tools"
    I don't have to share.

Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Lucretia View Post
    Justify? What is this justify? When you're a home cook your loved ones fall on their knees and offer you new knives as a small token of their gratitude and adoration.

I don't have to share.

You don't have "enough" knives for sharing or colleagues

Being a home cook I don't get to use my knives as much as I would like but I have more time than the pros to lay them out and masturbate while looking at them.
    "Those who say it can't be done are always pasted by those doing it"

Quote Originally Posted by bahamaroot View Post
    Being a home cook I don't get to use my knives as much as I would like but I have more time than the pros to lay them out and masturbate while looking at them.
    Excellent point. Almost passed beer through my nose.