Quantcast
It's so easy to hook 'em
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's so easy to hook 'em

It's so easy to hook 'em

A friend I work with was lamenting how dull his old Henckels are. He's one of those guys who absolutely lives for food, and is very disappointed with the performace of his cutlery. Like most Henkels owners, he paid decent coin for his knives and assumed he was getting the best there is. He really had no idea about this thing of ours, so I showed him some Korin catalogs and pointed him towards some familiar websites to show him what was out there.

I brought a couple of buckets of stones to work and a few representative knives-- a gyuto, usuba, and yanagi-- and got to see one of the true delights of this hobby: the look on a guy's face when he has that "holy crap" moment.

It's so easy to get folks interested in this field. All you have to do is show them.
    I really am related to Tony Clifton.

Very true! You just have to point them in the right direction...

That is soooo true Jay and some of those folks even go on to become bigger knifenuts than yourself.

So true!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    That is soooo true Jay and some of those folks even go on to become bigger knifenuts than yourself.
    See post #4.
    I really am related to Tony Clifton.

LOL Jay, he's one of the people I had a had in mind while typing.

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    Maybe it's the culture i'm in (military), but I find it hard to convince people to buy Henkels, let alone $300 knives. Most of the people I know have a hard time making a bowl of cereal. I look forward to the day when I can rub my hands together as I bring someone to the light bwahahaha.

There's a twist for the home cook. Sometimes i carry my knives to prep food for friends and they refuse to use them cause of the scary edges.
    ¡No es pa tuitos la bota'e potro!

I have found that talking to people about knives is something like talking about politics--either they are already looking to change, or there's nothing you can explain to them that will convince them.

So I just work next to them with good knives, so they see the difference, and then one day, I sharpen a knife for them, and ruin them to bad edges forever. My dad has a set of 12 or so knives, and I only had time to properly sharpen one of them. I bet when I go back, the others will be dusty!

I still struggle to convince some, even professional cooks. Some have the ingrained and illogical desire to buy a set. You use a chef's knife 90%, spend 90% of your budget on one! Plus if you have $100 or $150 or whatever to spend now, get one GOOD knife, then later add what you are lacking! Yeesh!
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney