Natural Shape Maple Burl Slabs F/S

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
These are some natural shape slabs of Oregon Maple Burl.
I thought they would be a fun and easy do it yourself project. I use slabs like this as trivets, underneath pottery and sculptures, as a serving tray or just on a table as a piece of natural art.
The only tool you need will be a palm held sander.
I have drum sanded the slabs so the cut surfaces are flat.
Right now they have been lightly sanded to 120 grit and the cut surfaces have been sprayed with a light coat of lacquer.
The lacquer is just to give a bit of surface protection until you start your project. I used lacquer because it sands off easily without clogging your sandpaper.
The way I would suggest finishing these slabs would be;
Using a palm sander start with 120 grit to remove the lacquer and any sanding lines from the drum sander.
Next use 220 grit, 320 and then 400 grit. You can go to higher grits if you like but 400 grit usually shows off the grain and figure very nicely.
For a finish I would suggest a wipe on oil blend like Danish Oil.
If you will have food in direct contact with the wood you might want to use mineral oil or another food safe finish.

If you want to get any of these slabs, please make a post in this thread like "I'll take #...." and I will mark it sold for you.
Payment needs to be through paypal so if you are getting a slab please send me a PM with your mailing address so I can calculate the cost of postage and your email address so I can send you a paypal invoice for payment. The address I use for paypal is [email protected]
US Only - Customs would probably not allow these to go international because of natural edges and/or bark pockets.

Slab #1 $70 plus shipping - about 16" long by 12" wide and 1&1/2" thick.
Side A
mbs003_zps34393030.jpg

Side B
mbs002_zpsd769df41.jpg

Slab #2 $95 plus shipping - about 22" long by 12" wide and 1&1/2" thick.
Side A
mbs005_zpsbcc1a7f4.jpg

Side B
mbs004_zps51f219f7.jpg

Slab #3 $75 plus shipping - about 18" long by 13" wide and 1&1/2" thick.
Side A
mbs007_zps85bdcbc3.jpg

Side B
mbs006_zps7be93973.jpg

These are cool! I might get one for a picture background.

These are cool! I might get one for a picture background.
I bring slabs like this to the knife show because the photographers always want to borrow them for the knife photos.

How do you get the bark off a slab like that? The spikey part was originally covered in bark, right?

How do you get the bark off a slab like that? The spikey part was originally covered in bark, right?
We use a high pressure, pressure washer to remove the bark and loose residue.

#1 is sold to ToddinMD

Slab #1 was sold and shipped.
#2 and #3 have been withdrawn.

Back