Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any new flat-profiled gyutos on the market?

Who sells the Takeo Murata?

Quote Originally Posted by cord_steele View Post
    Who sells the Takeo Murata?
    Epicurean Edge

To my eye this knife does not have a flat belly at all? I would argue that this tip is a bit low, sorta like my Konosuke HD Wa Kiritusuke. My regular Yusuke look flatter actually

Quote Originally Posted by Frater_Decus View Post
    I may be wrong -- and if so, I'd appreciate images or hard data for comparison rather than just hearsay -- but I believe the Sakai Takayuki Grand Chef Wa has a flatter profile than the Yusuke (notable as it has more of a "drop nose" profile). The yusuke seems to have more of a pronounced tip. I know the GC has a bad rap amongst certain people, but it suits my purposes excellently, and I gravitate towards flatter profiles. You might also like the new 210mm gyuto from Takeo Murata:
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

I can't speak from experience with the Yusuke, never having got my hands on one or seen proper measurements, but the Murata is extremely flat compared to most gyutos I've seen. I can provide measurements of the flat spot later tonight if desired.
    Vestigia nulla retrorsum.

Mucho how many beers did you haveThat Murata looks pretty flat to me.I have the carbon Yusuke & it has quite a bit more rocker.

Nice profile on that blade Frater how is it as a cutter?Many yrs. been a fan of the traditional flatter drop nose gyuto's.Was just reading on a thread here that Takeda was forging knives more traditional way & was convinced to put more rise in the tip for western market.Bunch of dumb Honkies who don't appreciate excellent geometry.Did I say that Sorry I'm badAnd I am on my second Heineken

What size are you looking for? You could get a 270 and you wouldn't have to be so picky

Quote Originally Posted by keithsaltydog View Post
    Nice profile on that blade Frater how is it as a cutter?Many yrs. been a fan of the traditional flatter drop nose gyuto's.Was just reading on a thread here that Takeda was forging knives more traditional way & was convinced to put more rise in the tip for western market.Bunch of dumb Honkies who don't appreciate excellent geometry.Did I say that Sorry I'm badAnd I am on my second Heineken

+1, you know what I'm chalkin' about! The Murata is a fantastic cutter, extremely thin behind the edge & great geometry. Not too tall though. Strops back to shaving sharp on newsprint. I don't use it for heavy chopping of course, but it rules all at slicing, push and pull cutting, etc. I just wish they didn't use that damn lacquer over the cladding! The Aogami 1 core takes a nice patina at least.

Too much rise in the tip is definitely an eyesore, haha.
    Vestigia nulla retrorsum.

Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    To my eye this knife does not have a flat belly at all? I would argue that this tip is a bit low, sorta like my Konosuke HD Wa Kiritusuke. My regular Yusuke look flatter actually
    +1 to what Keith said MB?! How many beers are you on?

One major difference I see between that Murata (first time I've ever seen it) and the Yusuke flat profile is the Murata's edge is more parallel to the spine, so have the tip lower to the board it needs to have the drop nose. The Yusuke flat profile has a bit more angle between the edge and spine, starts to curve upwards earlier towards the tip, doesn't have to have such a drop nose to keep the tip low to the board, and therefore can have a pointier tip.
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

I haven't been dinking beers, more like Vodka at 100 proof. HA

Fair enough, its hard to tell by photo alone. I have two Yusuke 240's. One the regular shape but special thin white #1 and the other is the MPukas/Keiichi special in stainless. Its nearly impossible to tell the difference between the two profiles, even when the blades are laying on top of each other. The special thick extra flat knife has about 2mm more depth at the heel, relative to the spine. The tips are exaclty the same.
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.