Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any new flat-profiled gyutos on the market?

Any new flat-profiled gyutos on the market?

For various reasons I've been checked out of the forum for the last few months. Last time I was active it seemed that flat-profile fever was hitting gyutoworld, and I'm curious to know if there have been any new additions to the market.

Knives I already know about: Masamoto KS, Sakai Yusuke (flatter profile), Konosuke funayuki, Carter funayuki.

Are there any others?

Sorry, want to quickly add that I'm only interested in hearing about wa-handled knives, hence reason I didn't mention Martell flat.

might want to consider a Fowler; he typically uses a pretty flat profile.

Quote Originally Posted by dannynyc View Post
    Sorry, want to quickly add that I'm only interested in hearing about wa-handled knives, hence reason I didn't mention Martell flat.
    I think he'd consider putting a wa-handle on there, if you ask him real nice-like...
    You just think you know who he is.

Not superduper new, but the gesshin kagero is quite flat.

danny, open up that budget some and get a martell, or a flat takeda. while many takedas curve up towards the tip, they tend to have a large sweet spot as well. and the new ones are stainless clad. knife wear has good selection, and i believe theyre prices are a tad lower than cktg.

Some of the wa-gyutos on the Bloodroot Blades website look to have a very flat profile.

[QUOTE=DitmasPork;250104]Some of the wa-gyutos on the Bloodroot Blades website look to have a very flat profile.[/QUOTE
    This is true; they have a very flat profile if desired

Quote Originally Posted by dannynyc View Post
    For various reasons I've been checked out of the forum for the last few months. Last time I was active it seemed that flat-profile fever was hitting gyutoworld, and I'm curious to know if there have been any new additions to the market.

Knives I already know about: Masamoto KS, Sakai Yusuke (flatter profile), Konosuke funayuki, Carter funayuki.

Are there any others?
    I may be wrong -- and if so, I'd appreciate images or hard data for comparison rather than just hearsay -- but I believe the Sakai Takayuki Grand Chef Wa has a flatter profile than the Yusuke (notable as it has more of a "drop nose" profile). The yusuke seems to have more of a pronounced tip. I know the GC has a bad rap amongst certain people, but it suits my purposes excellently, and I gravitate towards flatter profiles. You might also like the new 210mm gyuto from Takeo Murata:
    Vestigia nulla retrorsum.

ive heard rumors the masamoto vg has a terrific flatish profile. comepletely unlike anything else in the masamoto line up. i think the tanaka ginsanko has a flat profile too.