Any new flat-profiled gyutos on the market?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannynyc

Reaction score
For various reasons I've been checked out of the forum for the last few months. Last time I was active it seemed that flat-profile fever was hitting gyutoworld, and I'm curious to know if there have been any new additions to the market.

Knives I already know about: Masamoto KS, Sakai Yusuke (flatter profile), Konosuke funayuki, Carter funayuki.

Are there any others?

Sorry, want to quickly add that I'm only interested in hearing about wa-handled knives, hence reason I didn't mention Martell flat.

Sorry, want to quickly add that I'm only interested in hearing about wa-handled knives, hence reason I didn't mention Martell flat.

I think he'd consider putting a wa-handle on there, if you ask him real nice-like...

Not superduper new, but the gesshin kagero is quite flat.

danny, open up that budget some and get a martell, or a flat takeda. while many takedas curve up towards the tip, they tend to have a large sweet spot as well. and the new ones are stainless clad. knife wear has good selection, and i believe theyre prices are a tad lower than cktg.

Some of the wa-gyutos on the Bloodroot Blades website look to have a very flat profile.

For various reasons I've been checked out of the forum for the last few months. Last time I was active it seemed that flat-profile fever was hitting gyutoworld, and I'm curious to know if there have been any new additions to the market.

Knives I already know about: Masamoto KS, Sakai Yusuke (flatter profile), Konosuke funayuki, Carter funayuki.

Are there any others?

I may be wrong -- and if so, I'd appreciate images or hard data for comparison rather than just hearsay -- but I believe the Sakai Takayuki Grand Chef Wa has a flatter profile than the Yusuke (notable as it has more of a "drop nose" profile). The yusuke seems to have more of a pronounced tip. I know the GC has a bad rap amongst certain people, but it suits my purposes excellently, and I gravitate towards flatter profiles. You might also like the new 210mm gyuto from Takeo Murata:
91731_1_b.jpg

ive heard rumors the masamoto vg has a terrific flatish profile. comepletely unlike anything else in the masamoto line up. i think the tanaka ginsanko has a flat profile too.

To my eye this knife does not have a flat belly at all? I would argue that this tip is a bit low, sorta like my Konosuke HD Wa Kiritusuke. My regular Yusuke look flatter actually

I may be wrong -- and if so, I'd appreciate images or hard data for comparison rather than just hearsay -- but I believe the Sakai Takayuki Grand Chef Wa has a flatter profile than the Yusuke (notable as it has more of a "drop nose" profile). The yusuke seems to have more of a pronounced tip. I know the GC has a bad rap amongst certain people, but it suits my purposes excellently, and I gravitate towards flatter profiles. You might also like the new 210mm gyuto from Takeo Murata:
91731_1_b.jpg

I can't speak from experience with the Yusuke, never having got my hands on one or seen proper measurements, but the Murata is extremely flat compared to most gyutos I've seen. I can provide measurements of the flat spot later tonight if desired.

Mucho how many beers did you have:detective:That Murata looks pretty flat to me.I have the carbon Yusuke & it has quite a bit more rocker.

Nice profile on that blade Frater how is it as a cutter?Many yrs. been a fan of the traditional flatter drop nose gyuto's.Was just reading on a thread here that Takeda was forging knives more traditional way & was convinced to put more rise in the tip for western market.Bunch of dumb Honkies who don't appreciate excellent geometry.Did I say that:O Sorry I'm bad:beatinghead:And I am on my second Heineken:beer:

Nice profile on that blade Frater how is it as a cutter?Many yrs. been a fan of the traditional flatter drop nose gyuto's.Was just reading on a thread here that Takeda was forging knives more traditional way & was convinced to put more rise in the tip for western market.Bunch of dumb Honkies who don't appreciate excellent geometry.Did I say that:O Sorry I'm bad:beatinghead:And I am on my second Heineken:beer:

+1, you know what I'm chalkin' about! The Murata is a fantastic cutter, extremely thin behind the edge & great geometry. Not too tall though. Strops back to shaving sharp on newsprint. I don't use it for heavy chopping of course, but it rules all at slicing, push and pull cutting, etc. I just wish they didn't use that damn lacquer over the cladding! The Aogami 1 core takes a nice patina at least.

Too much rise in the tip is definitely an eyesore, haha. :doublethumbsup:

To my eye this knife does not have a flat belly at all? I would argue that this tip is a bit low, sorta like my Konosuke HD Wa Kiritusuke. My regular Yusuke look flatter actually
+1 to what Keith said MB?! How many beers are you on? :razz:

One major difference I see between that Murata (first time I've ever seen it) and the Yusuke flat profile is the Murata's edge is more parallel to the spine, so have the tip lower to the board it needs to have the drop nose. The Yusuke flat profile has a bit more angle between the edge and spine, starts to curve upwards earlier towards the tip, doesn't have to have such a drop nose to keep the tip low to the board, and therefore can have a pointier tip.

I haven't been dinking beers, more like Vodka at 100 proof. HA

Fair enough, its hard to tell by photo alone. I have two Yusuke 240's. One the regular shape but special thin white #1 and the other is the MPukas/Keiichi special in stainless. Its nearly impossible to tell the difference between the two profiles, even when the blades are laying on top of each other. The special thick extra flat knife has about 2mm more depth at the heel, relative to the spine. The tips are exaclty the same.

Back