Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking to Expand

Keep it up Marko, that looks like a fantastic spot to do a day's work.

That's your shop?! I'd live in there! Damn, Marko...even your workspace is first class!
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Right now everything is in the basement, without daylight or a good ventilation, but I have a good space and a freedom to do things, so I can't complain.

The upstairs would be for woodworking, leatherworking and whatnot. I would love to take the whole floor (there is a second sky lights) if I could figure out what to use it for, but right now I have use for just 1/3 of the space.

Day light does wonders to productivity, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will be able to secure this space.

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    Day light does wonders to productivity, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will be able to secure this space.
    M
    And that is not only because of the visible light spectrum, but also the near UV light - our eyes have receptors for it and while we do not use it for imaging, it tells us whether it is day or night.

I am glad to see that you are moving ahead - I really appreciate your work.

An update on the space.

I haven't signed paperwork yet, but it looks like I am going to rent more space than I originally thought. The two rooms (pictured in the earlier post), will be my clean rooms - for storage, leather, polishing, sharpening, etching, etc. The rest of the floor will be used as an open-space woodworking shop with all tools hooked up to a dust extraction system, to which I will have access. I need to look into liability insurance for the space, but I hope to be able to offer some woodworking and leather-working classes/workshops down the road. What I love about this place is a garage type door and skylights.

I also plan to built a mini Crossfit gym for the days when I can't make to the proper gym because of work obligations. 15' ceilings make a perfect height for hanging a climbing rope, rings, 10feet high medicine ball target, etc. Very excited.

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

Sounds like a perfect set-up, Marko. Good luck with everything!

Stefan

Thanks Stefan. I haven't seen this much day light in years!

Pics of the open space workshop area I will have access too. The gate opens to the roof top, and in the summer time, creates a nice breeze through the top, but the biggest price - big a$$ Delta/Milwaukee table saw with 14" blade. There is another skylight in the main area. 13" ceilings.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131029_104553.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	19779

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131029_104530.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	19780

Gorgeous, Marko. I'm starting to wonder about renting a small shop myself, and have my eye out for old barns with electrical, and complete walls. It won't be as spectacular as yours, and it's still a pipe dream - but, congrats on living the pipe dream.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

I think growing (be it adding new equipment, or expanding work area) is an essential to growing professionally. Once you have a real workshop stocked with proper tools, your possibilities will also grow.

M