Looking to Expand

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko Tsourkan

Founding Member
Reaction score
I mentioned in some of my other posts that I am looking into getting more space for my workshop, namely moving woodworking and leather working to a higher floor of the building where my workshop is located.

Here is a quick shot of the space. Bigger room would be for woodworking and the smaller for leatherworking. I will keep metalworking and heat treatment in the basement.

20131015_143708.jpg

That's fantastic Marko. What a difference from where you are now. Hope is all works out for you.

You are really getting serious with this. Doing it on the side - and slow as I am - I have a hard time breaking even with the overhead and shop rent, I hope it will work out for you with a larger space and expanding. I have a feeling that space so close to NY also isn't exactly cheap.

Stefan

You are really getting serious with this. Doing it on the side - and slow as I am - I have a hard time breaking even with the overhead and shop rent, I hope it will work out for you with a larger space and expanding. I have a feeling that space so close to NY also isn't exactly cheap.

Stefan

It's hard for me to do woodworking in the basement, let alone leatherworking that I would like to get into. Leatherworking would require much cleaner environment, and more space.

I have to take a risk of a larger overhead if I want to do things I want to do.

The way I look at it, you are taking a big gamble.
But, since you are betting on yourself, you get to be the one that determines how things will turn out.
Good luck with everything and congratulations on the great shop space.

With some planning and a great product,which you clearly have; this seems like a good investment more than a calculated risk. Usually very well rewarded.

Not wishing you luck cause that seldom helps; the quality of your work seems fantastic and reviews speak for themselves, many business can only dream of that. Keep up the good work and I think this is a great direction for a business like yours

Antonio

Right now everything is in the basement, without daylight or a good ventilation, but I have a good space and a freedom to do things, so I can't complain.

The upstairs would be for woodworking, leatherworking and whatnot. I would love to take the whole floor (there is a second sky lights) if I could figure out what to use it for, but right now I have use for just 1/3 of the space.

Day light does wonders to productivity, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will be able to secure this space.

M

Day light does wonders to productivity, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will be able to secure this space.
M

And that is not only because of the visible light spectrum, but also the near UV light - our eyes have receptors for it and while we do not use it for imaging, it tells us whether it is day or night.

I am glad to see that you are moving ahead - I really appreciate your work.

An update on the space.

I haven't signed paperwork yet, but it looks like I am going to rent more space than I originally thought. The two rooms (pictured in the earlier post), will be my clean rooms - for storage, leather, polishing, sharpening, etching, etc. The rest of the floor will be used as an open-space woodworking shop with all tools hooked up to a dust extraction system, to which I will have access. I need to look into liability insurance for the space, but I hope to be able to offer some woodworking and leather-working classes/workshops down the road. What I love about this place is a garage type door and skylights.

I also plan to built a mini Crossfit gym for the days when I can't make to the proper gym because of work obligations. 15' ceilings make a perfect height for hanging a climbing rope, rings, 10feet high medicine ball target, etc. Very excited.

Sounds like a perfect set-up, Marko. Good luck with everything!

Stefan

Pics of the open space workshop area I will have access too. The gate opens to the roof top, and in the summer time, creates a nice breeze through the top, but the biggest price - big a$$ Delta/Milwaukee table saw with 14" blade. There is another skylight in the main area. 13" ceilings.

20131029_104553.jpg

20131029_104530.jpg

Gorgeous, Marko. I'm starting to wonder about renting a small shop myself, and have my eye out for old barns with electrical, and complete walls. It won't be as spectacular as yours, and it's still a pipe dream - but, congrats on living the pipe dream. :D

I think growing (be it adding new equipment, or expanding work area) is an essential to growing professionally. Once you have a real workshop stocked with proper tools, your possibilities will also grow.

M

I am going to be moving and setting up the new space, so I doubt I will have time to do any knife related work today and possibly tomorrow - my assistant's first day.

I will ship a couple of things today - 225mm laser and another knife.

I will get back to where I left things, on Friday.

M

Back in the shop by myself, after a day of moving and training. Hoping to get a few hours of work done. My assistant is starting tomorrow, so tomorrow is a first day of being a Boss.

M

Thanks Michael -
Dungeon will continued to be my shop for metal working and heat treating (hopefully welding and plasma cutting soon), and upstairs will be for wood and leather.

Spent all day reorganizing metal workshop. After a few days, I will post some pictures.

M

Finally got heat in the new space. Will start prepping the room for a workshop. A bit of work to be done, but in a week time, will have the leather machine set up hopefully.

Marko

Congratulations on the heat. What will you be plasma cutting? Your blanks?

Putting in floors, hopefully will have the room ready for the sewing machine mid next week. Whew...

Painting. A couple of days away from setting up a leather machine and attempting a first leather saya. Leather should be arriving today.

Back