Quantcast
Edge Grain Boards
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Edge Grain Boards

Edge Grain Boards

I use end grain but the board is a bit too wieldy for the missus to use and get into the sink....

Looking at getting two 1 1/2 edge grain boards for the missues for day2day meat/greens use.
    I have not cut on edgegrain in eons, but if memory recalls, it wears fairly well

It wears better than your knives...
    one man gathers what another man spills...

I'd stick with the end grain and claen it while on the counter top (i.e., no need to put it in the sink).

What about a smaller board? And you could use one specific side for uncooked meats . . . then you wouldn't need two.

I agree that you could also just clean the end grain on the counter with a weak bleach solution in a spray bottle.

This is the KKF forum and I get it. Bigger blades, sharper edges..
    We're talking practicality for a non enthusiest user.

She already uses Epicurean boards which I'm not a fan....
    I DO use a very large Epicurean board when butchering/cutting up whole meat.

But I'm looking for replacements/alternatives to the Epicureans for her....and 2"+ end grain boards is not the right fit.
    I myself have 3 End Grain boards in my stash already...

I've a large Boos board in my kitchen that I use mostly for produce. One of its functions is to define my work space on the counter.

To cut up protein I drop a smaller Epicurean on top of it, (three hang on counter doors within reach) cut away then toss it in the sink. The Boos never sees the sink. Easy squeezy. If your wife is cutting on anything other than countertop call yourself lucky.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

I think edge grain is fine for home use, particularly for the non knife obsessed. Perhaps not quite as easy on the knives, but not terrible. You'll get years of use out of them. My wife always shakes her head when I pull out a massive end grain board. She prefers plastic mats on my butcher block counter top and a serrated knife or a cheap Oxo mini chef

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    This is the KKF forum and I get it. Bigger blades, sharper edges..
    We're talking practicality for a non enthusiest user.
    I WAS talking practicality. You already have the end grain boards, right? You indicated she would not use them because she could not carry them to the sink. I (and some others) were pointing out you can clean the boards in place, so there is no need to lift/ carry. Different story if you have exclusive 'his' and 'hers' cutting board collections, although there still is no reason to put a edge or end grain wood board in the sink if you don't want to, as it is easy to wipe them down in place.

When I'm cutting protein I just put one of these on top of my cutting board. Works great.

I was just thinking about the flexible boards myself, easy to clean, easy to transfer stuff to a bowl and very light weight. It can be used on top of an existing board and takes up no space
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

+ Reply to Thread