Quantcast
Edge Grain Boards - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Edge Grain Boards

My large endgrain clean on the counter as board smith's instructions.Once & a while clean under it & oil the bottom.

Have 2 smaller boards one for proteins & other for small prep,just put on top of the boardsmith.Most of my cutting duties are done on the large endgrain.

The flex mats are great! I clean my cutting board where it sits on the counter and use the flex mats if cutting meat. Wood boards should never go into the sink.

There's no sanitation issues with cutting both vegetables and raw proteins on any type of cutting board as long as you start with the veg and end with the meat, then wipe clean. Especially with wooden boards as they will absorb the excess moisture and leave the top fibers dry. No moisture = no microbial growth. Hardwood boards are finally NSF certified ( take that oil/plastics industries ). Its really as simple as using a light antibacterial, or even regular soap, wiping with a clean damp rag, then allowing it to dry. no need to carry a board anywhere. All that being said- it's ofttimes difficult to change a loved one's mind after they've developed certain habits
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Quote Originally Posted by brainsausage View Post
    There's no sanitation issues with cutting both vegetables and raw proteins on any type of cutting board as long as you start with the veg and end with the meat, then wipe clean. Especially with wooden boards as they will absorb the excess moisture and leave the top fibers dry. No moisture = no microbial growth. Hardwood boards are finally NSF certified ( take that oil/plastics industries ). Its really as simple as using a light antibacterial, or even regular soap, wiping with a clean damp rag, then allowing it to dry. no need to carry a board anywhere. All that being said- it's ofttimes difficult to change a loved one's mind after they've developed certain habits
    That's reassuring to know that brainy. I use a largish endgrain board which I wipe down after every use but for proteins, garlic and onions I plonk a polyurethane one on top. Tried using a flexible sheet but this just slides and moves around way too much. I've been promised a piece of Atlantic Cedar that I'll use as a side grain board. Any comments on Atlantic Cedar by the way?

I've never had an issue with flavor carrying over. But I'm used to having a damp cloth with sanitizing solution on hand to wipe my board frequently due to working in a pro kitchen. Mind you I was using my 24x18 maple Boardsmith in a pro environment up until our new place opened. I have no experience with cedar. It's very aromatic(which concerns me), and soft from what I understand.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Yeah, aromatic would be a worry. I'll have a good sniff before deciding. Flavour carry over, I find this with garlic especially. Garlic accented papaya or mango, uggh.

Just wipe your board more often. Or cut on another quadrant of the board(depending on the size obviously).

Go plastic?

Quote Originally Posted by Sambal View Post
    Yeah, aromatic would be a worry. I'll have a good sniff before deciding. Flavour carry over, I find this with garlic especially. Garlic accented papaya or mango, uggh.
    Dampen the board before cutting, transfer cut onions, garlic etc. off of board, wipe the board, continue.

Quote Originally Posted by GlassEye View Post
    Dampen the board before cutting, transfer cut onions, garlic etc. off of board, wipe the board, continue.
    I do this but garlic especially is pervasive. Don't get me wrong, garlic is great, just not on my fruit or desserts if I have to cut them on the board.