Edge Grain Boards

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobiledynamics

Reaction score
I use end grain but the board is a bit too wieldy for the missus to use and get into the sink....

Looking at getting two 1 1/2 edge grain boards for the missues for day2day meat/greens use.
I have not cut on edgegrain in eons, but if memory recalls, it wears fairly well

What about a smaller board? And you could use one specific side for uncooked meats . . . then you wouldn't need two.

I agree that you could also just clean the end grain on the counter with a weak bleach solution in a spray bottle.

This is the KKF forum and I get it. Bigger blades, sharper edges..
We're talking practicality for a non enthusiest user.

She already uses Epicurean boards which I'm not a fan....
I DO use a very large Epicurean board when butchering/cutting up whole meat.

But I'm looking for replacements/alternatives to the Epicureans for her....and 2"+ end grain boards is not the right fit.
I myself have 3 End Grain boards in my stash already...

I've a large Boos board in my kitchen that I use mostly for produce. One of its functions is to define my work space on the counter.

To cut up protein I drop a smaller Epicurean on top of it, (three hang on counter doors within reach) cut away then toss it in the sink. The Boos never sees the sink. Easy squeezy. If your wife is cutting on anything other than countertop call yourself lucky.

I think edge grain is fine for home use, particularly for the non knife obsessed. Perhaps not quite as easy on the knives, but not terrible. You'll get years of use out of them. My wife always shakes her head when I pull out a massive end grain board. She prefers plastic mats on my butcher block counter top and a serrated knife or a cheap Oxo mini chef

This is the KKF forum and I get it. Bigger blades, sharper edges..
We're talking practicality for a non enthusiest user.
I WAS talking practicality. You already have the end grain boards, right? You indicated she would not use them because she could not carry them to the sink. I (and some others) were pointing out you can clean the boards in place, so there is no need to lift/ carry. Different story if you have exclusive 'his' and 'hers' cutting board collections, although there still is no reason to put a edge or end grain wood board in the sink if you don't want to, as it is easy to wipe them down in place.

When I'm cutting protein I just put one of these on top of my cutting board. Works great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just thinking about the flexible boards myself, easy to clean, easy to transfer stuff to a bowl and very light weight. It can be used on top of an existing board and takes up no space

My large endgrain clean on the counter as board smith's instructions.Once & a while clean under it & oil the bottom.

Have 2 smaller boards one for proteins & other for small prep,just put on top of the boardsmith.Most of my cutting duties are done on the large endgrain.

The flex mats are great! I clean my cutting board where it sits on the counter and use the flex mats if cutting meat. Wood boards should never go into the sink.

There's no sanitation issues with cutting both vegetables and raw proteins on any type of cutting board as long as you start with the veg and end with the meat, then wipe clean. Especially with wooden boards as they will absorb the excess moisture and leave the top fibers dry. No moisture = no microbial growth. Hardwood boards are finally NSF certified ( take that oil/plastics industries ). Its really as simple as using a light antibacterial, or even regular soap, wiping with a clean damp rag, then allowing it to dry. no need to carry a board anywhere. All that being said- it's ofttimes difficult to change a loved one's mind after they've developed certain habits:whistling:

There's no sanitation issues with cutting both vegetables and raw proteins on any type of cutting board as long as you start with the veg and end with the meat, then wipe clean. Especially with wooden boards as they will absorb the excess moisture and leave the top fibers dry. No moisture = no microbial growth. Hardwood boards are finally NSF certified ( take that oil/plastics industries ). Its really as simple as using a light antibacterial, or even regular soap, wiping with a clean damp rag, then allowing it to dry. no need to carry a board anywhere. All that being said- it's ofttimes difficult to change a loved one's mind after they've developed certain habits:whistling:

That's reassuring to know that brainy. I use a largish endgrain board which I wipe down after every use but for proteins, garlic and onions I plonk a polyurethane one on top. Tried using a flexible sheet but this just slides and moves around way too much. I've been promised a piece of Atlantic Cedar that I'll use as a side grain board. Any comments on Atlantic Cedar by the way?

I've never had an issue with flavor carrying over. But I'm used to having a damp cloth with sanitizing solution on hand to wipe my board frequently due to working in a pro kitchen. Mind you I was using my 24x18 maple Boardsmith in a pro environment up until our new place opened. I have no experience with cedar. It's very aromatic(which concerns me), and soft from what I understand.

Yeah, aromatic would be a worry. I'll have a good sniff before deciding. Flavour carry over, I find this with garlic especially. Garlic accented papaya or mango, uggh.

Yeah, aromatic would be a worry. I'll have a good sniff before deciding. Flavour carry over, I find this with garlic especially. Garlic accented papaya or mango, uggh.

Dampen the board before cutting, transfer cut onions, garlic etc. off of board, wipe the board, continue.

Dampen the board before cutting, transfer cut onions, garlic etc. off of board, wipe the board, continue.

I do this but garlic especially is pervasive. Don't get me wrong, garlic is great, just not on my fruit or desserts if I have to cut them on the board.

I do this but garlic especially is pervasive. Don't get me wrong, garlic is great, just not on my fruit or desserts if I have to cut them on the board.

Have you tried bamboo? I have the same issue with garlic on my board. I've tried everything to get the smell out after chopping it but it still stays. Now I use the flex mats for meat and a bamboo for onions and garlic. Bamboo doesn't retain smells, can get washed in the sink and its cheap enough to replace if needed in the future.

I admit wiping down the endgrain does do well.I cut onions,garlic & ginger on the board at night clean it & chop frozen fruits for a smoothie in the morning no problem.

I am conditioned right or wrong about raw protiens,esp chicken.At work had to take a safe food coarse,temps hot & cold,FIFO,cross contamination etc. it has stuck with me.

in our household, the boards do get a rinse after use.
I went ahead and ordered some of those flex mats. Let's see how they work out into the routine of things

Back