Quantcast
Carter Funayuki - Big Chips
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carter Funayuki - Big Chips

Carter Funayuki - Big Chips

Hi All, wanted to see what you all think I should do with an older Carter (carbon wrapped in stainless). My father-in-law was using it to break bones and now it has a medium sized chip and large chip (just into the stainless).

Can this be repaired? Should I sell it to someone cheap who would be interested to try it as a project? Just trash it?

I'll post some pics up tonight when I get back home, forgot they were on my digital camera. I know it may be hard to give a recommendation without seeing!

Yup. Gonna need pics.

Quote Originally Posted by droshi View Post
    Hi All, wanted to see what you all think I should do with an older Carter (carbon wrapped in stainless). My father-in-law was using it to break bones and now it has a medium sized chip and large chip (just into the stainless).

Can this be repaired? Should I sell it to someone cheap who would be interested to try it as a project? Just trash it?

I'll post some pics up tonight when I get back home, forgot they were on my digital camera. I know it may be hard to give a recommendation without seeing!
    It can be repaired but if the chipping is substantial, the knife will need to be reprofiled and thinned (ideally reground, to get back to factory geometry), becoming a smaller knife in the process.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Droshi, I can't comment on the repair, but my first thought (im sure many others), WHAT MADE YOU THINK USING A CARTER FOR CHOPPING BONES WAS A GOOD IDEA?

Sorry had to get that off my mind.

BTW, Welcome to the Forum
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

always the father in law, ha! also if fixing it seems like too much of a hassle and you want to sell it, send me a pm!!!

I imagine droshi was just as shocked to see the F-I-L do it as we were to read about it... Had a visitor using my Takeda suji to slice shelled lobster tails a few weeks back. He was enjoying/ loving the knife. I was shelling the tails in the sink next to where he was slicing. I turned my back for a second to grab something off the island behind me, and turned back around to see him with a tail in the shell on the cutting board, and his hand on the way down to smack the spine of the knife and drive the blade into the shell. He managed two quick whacks before he realized I was screaming at him to stop and trying to take the knife out of his hand. Put some chips in the blade and torqued it a bit, but nothing near as bad as what it sounds like droshi's F-I-L did to his knife. Sometimes you just can't stop people before the screw something up.

Dave did a thread a year or so ago that surveyed cause of knife damage. As I recall in-laws were the most blamed. FIL is in good company.

Send it off for repair, write the check and put it behind you. The post office is your friend.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

Quote Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
    I imagine droshi was just as shocked to see the F-I-L do it as we were to read about it... Had a visitor using my Takeda suji to slice shelled lobster tails a few weeks back. He was enjoying/ loving the knife. I was shelling the tails in the sink next to where he was slicing. I turned my back for a second to grab something off the island behind me, and turned back around to see him with a tail in the shell on the cutting board, and his hand on the way down to smack the spine of the knife and drive the blade into the shell. He managed two quick whacks before he realized I was screaming at him to stop and trying to take the knife out of his hand. Put some chips in the blade and torqued it a bit, but nothing near as bad as what it sounds like droshi's F-I-L did to his knife. Sometimes you just can't stop people before the screw something up.
    Yeah I was at work, the whole in-laws are here for a few weeks. And he decided to cook for the first time in years.

He's kind of absent minded with that kind of thing, but before any of the daughters could stop him he'd already made the 2 huge divots.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    It can be repaired but if the chipping is substantial, the knife will need to be reprofiled and thinned (ideally reground, to get back to factory geometry), becoming a smaller knife in the process.
    I'm pretty sure it would need to be reground, the knife height is pretty tall compared to length, but I'll get some measurements in millimeters once I get home including depth of chips.

Thanks for comments this far, at least I can complain to you guys! Anyway he offered to buy a new knife, so good news is an upgrade is in order. He said price I could pick any price, but then retracted those words after realizing how much I could spend!

Now's the time for that Shig kitaeji you've been dreaming of.

+ Reply to Thread