Carter Funayuki - Big Chips

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

droshi

Reaction score
Hi All, wanted to see what you all think I should do with an older Carter (carbon wrapped in stainless). My father-in-law was using it to break bones and now it has a medium sized chip and large chip (just into the stainless).

Can this be repaired? Should I sell it to someone cheap who would be interested to try it as a project? Just trash it?

I'll post some pics up tonight when I get back home, forgot they were on my digital camera. I know it may be hard to give a recommendation without seeing!

Hi All, wanted to see what you all think I should do with an older Carter (carbon wrapped in stainless). My father-in-law was using it to break bones and now it has a medium sized chip and large chip (just into the stainless).

Can this be repaired? Should I sell it to someone cheap who would be interested to try it as a project? Just trash it?

I'll post some pics up tonight when I get back home, forgot they were on my digital camera. I know it may be hard to give a recommendation without seeing!

It can be repaired but if the chipping is substantial, the knife will need to be reprofiled and thinned (ideally reground, to get back to factory geometry), becoming a smaller knife in the process.

Droshi, I can't comment on the repair, but my first thought (im sure many others), WHAT MADE YOU THINK USING A CARTER FOR CHOPPING BONES WAS A GOOD IDEA?

:dontknow:

Sorry had to get that off my mind.

BTW, Welcome to the Forum

always the father in law, ha! also if fixing it seems like too much of a hassle and you want to sell it, send me a pm!!!

I imagine droshi was just as shocked to see the F-I-L do it as we were to read about it... Had a visitor using my Takeda suji to slice shelled lobster tails a few weeks back. He was enjoying/ loving the knife. I was shelling the tails in the sink next to where he was slicing. I turned my back for a second to grab something off the island behind me, and turned back around to see him with a tail in the shell on the cutting board, and his hand on the way down to smack the spine of the knife and drive the blade into the shell. He managed two quick whacks before he realized I was screaming at him to stop and trying to take the knife out of his hand. Put some chips in the blade and torqued it a bit, but nothing near as bad as what it sounds like droshi's F-I-L did to his knife. Sometimes you just can't stop people before the screw something up.

Dave did a thread a year or so ago that surveyed cause of knife damage. As I recall in-laws were the most blamed. FIL is in good company.

Send it off for repair, write the check and put it behind you. The post office is your friend.

I imagine droshi was just as shocked to see the F-I-L do it as we were to read about it... Had a visitor using my Takeda suji to slice shelled lobster tails a few weeks back. He was enjoying/ loving the knife. I was shelling the tails in the sink next to where he was slicing. I turned my back for a second to grab something off the island behind me, and turned back around to see him with a tail in the shell on the cutting board, and his hand on the way down to smack the spine of the knife and drive the blade into the shell. He managed two quick whacks before he realized I was screaming at him to stop and trying to take the knife out of his hand. Put some chips in the blade and torqued it a bit, but nothing near as bad as what it sounds like droshi's F-I-L did to his knife. Sometimes you just can't stop people before the screw something up.

Yeah I was at work, the whole in-laws are here for a few weeks. And he decided to cook for the first time in years. :)

He's kind of absent minded with that kind of thing, but before any of the daughters could stop him he'd already made the 2 huge divots.

It can be repaired but if the chipping is substantial, the knife will need to be reprofiled and thinned (ideally reground, to get back to factory geometry), becoming a smaller knife in the process.

I'm pretty sure it would need to be reground, the knife height is pretty tall compared to length, but I'll get some measurements in millimeters once I get home including depth of chips.

Thanks for comments this far, at least I can complain to you guys! Anyway he offered to buy a new knife, so good news is an upgrade is in order. He said price I could pick any price, but then retracted those words after realizing how much I could spend! :shocked:

Now's the time for that Shig kitaeji you've been dreaming of.

Shigs look pretty cool, but I was lusting more for a 330mm ******** Yanagiba...looks like a nice knife. But I still need a workhorse first!

I'm thinking a 240mm SS Heiji Gyuto, other ideas? Honestly the Carter has been so great I haven't looked much into knives lately even though I've been meaning to...

Shigs look pretty cool, but I was lusting more for a 330mm ******** Yanagiba...looks like a nice knife. But I still need a workhorse first!

I'm thinking a 240mm SS Heiji Gyuto, other ideas? Honestly the Carter has been so great I haven't looked much into knives lately even though I've been meaning to...

I guess black hair lady in Japanese is a bad word? Anyway, the black steel one.... IDK if it's better than a Shig.

I guess black hair lady in Japanese is a bad word? Anyway, the black steel one.... IDK if it's better than a Shig.

Heiji is awesome. So is the Gesshin Kagekiyo line. Talk to Jon. I'm sure he can find you something great at a steep enough price that your F-I-L will never touch your stuff again.

Heiji is awesome. So is the Gesshin Kagekiyo line. Talk to Jon. I'm sure he can find you something great at a steep enough price that your F-I-L will never touch your stuff again.

Haha! Great idea. I like JKI's selection, and they get great recommendations, but confusing to pick between what's there. I'm not sure when I'll have time to call him and I'm sure there's been the same question before on comparison between lines... can anyone find a link? I've been searching :)

I have found that the heiji is a unique grind but performs well. Ginga looks like a good thin stainless line, gengetsu being a good thin behind edge with distal taper. So where do the rest fit?

Droshi, Give Jon a call Jon at JKI. If nothing else, you'll be able to learn so much. He's a very grounded as well, not schmacny salesmanship, classy is the word i'd use actually. If your going to spend >$300 on a knife, my strategy would be to complete the "Which knife should I Buy" questionnaire posted in forum\thekitchenknife. This way you can spend time talking knives and not characteristics you like, this steel, do you sharpen, cutting board, bal bla bla.

Also, Hang around the forum and daily knifes of heirloom world class quality will surface for purchase in our BST sub forum.

Hey, Sorry about your Carter. Seems like your taking it well so good for you. Life is short.

If the blade has significant damage I'd be worried someone else would ruin the temper trying to repair it. Did you try emailing Murray Carter about it? He'd probably repair it better than anyone, plus he has that revolving waterwheel. I think he charges $20 for sharpening/repairs.

My father in law was pretty worried and asking his kids about the price of a ticket home! But yeah, life is short and it's just a knife (but one I really liked!). At least I got a good deal on it.

I haven't contacted Murray, but that may be a good idea. I'll see what he says.

blade is 188mm (from base of handle) by 49mm (at heel) - 180mm is length from heel to tip

big chip is 7mm x 2.1mm
smaller chip is 5.5mm x 1mm

Black steel is a marketing gimmick. The brand name of these knives has been blocked because the retailer & US distributor of these knives have their links blocked at KKF.

Holy carbon steel batman! She can be saved but it's gonna take a bit of work and you won't have the exact same knife when finished.

Send Murray an email. If you don't want to, I'll contact him for you. It needs to be fixed, and fixed properly. With that being said - she ain't dead yet!

That's actually not as bad as I feared it would be. That knife has plenty of life, once fixed correctly.

Black steel is a marketing gimmick. The brand name of these knives has been blocked because the retailer & US distributor of these knives have their links blocked at KKF.

I see.

The good news is that Murray has offered to repair the knife free of charge. He only asks for return shipping amount of $15. Wow what a deal! My father in law was happy but still asks me to buy a new knife as well. I've been showing him the most expensive knives as jokes to raise his blood pressure a little. :)

I see.

The good news is that Murray has offered to repair the knife free of charge. He only asks for return shipping amount of $15. Wow what a deal! My father in law was happy but still asks me to buy a new knife as well. I've been showing him the most expensive knives as jokes to raise his blood pressure a little. :)

Carter Cutlery has some nice paring knives ...

88x57ParIPaBL__69849.1379422308.1280.1280.jpg

In a few weeks my MiL is coming for a visit - I will take this thread as a warning :)

Those chips are on the large side, but given the geometry of the blade it should not make a drastic difference to how the knife will behave after repair.

Back