Takeda nakiri & bunka bocho comparison

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sambal

Reaction score
I'm thinking about replacing my 16 year old Global G5 nakiri which ever since I've started using Jknives I've been reluctant to pick up.

So, I'm considering a Takeda and would appreciate your opinion and experience on the 170mm nakiri and bunka bocho.

In terms of the grind geometry and actual usage for veggies, can you describe how these 2 Takedas compare?

Also, any difference in the grind between the new SS clad versions compared with the previous iron clad kurouchi ones?

Thanks.

Hey you!
Is there anybody in there?
Just nod if you can hear me.
Is there anyone home?
(. . . or shall I get . . . )
comfortably numb?
(with respects to Waters and Gilmour)

I'd really appreciate it if you'd care to give some advice on these Takedas please? Especially comparing the nakiri with the bunka bocho. I've used a nakiri quite a bit before but what's the bunka bocho like in comparison? Is the sharper tip useful and a good trade off for the taller nakiri blade? I'd be using it for veggies only. Any difference in the grind and thickness in the two? Any one tried the new SS clad versions of any Takedas?

Thanks!

I have one of the bunka bochos but always used it pretty much like any other nakiri type knife. Never used one of his nakiri so I have no strong opinions one way or another.

i prefer a nakiri over a bunkabocho, but cant speak of the takeda. the tip on the bunka is pretty much useless to me. i dont like "all purpose knifes" at all. thats why i barely use gyuotos...

If I remember correctly, my Takeda nakiri has more profile height than the bunka. So if efficiently scooping stuff off the board is important, like if you're fine-dicing a lot of stuff, then I'd go with the nakiri.

I happen to be a "nakiri-purist" and only use my nakiri on vegetable-matter. So the bunka would be my call if it's going to be used on a mixture of meat and veggies.

For what it's worth, my bunka is one of my preferred knives for travel if I know I'm not going to be doing just basic stuff for myself in my hotel room or helping out a bit in someone's kitchen. Think of it like a santoku with a different shape.

For just veggies the Nakiri is the best choice. It is noticeably thinner. The bunka has more robust convexing and it happens pretty close to the edge. It thins out behind the convex point so it has good release and is great on proteins as well as veg. But the bunka would be destroyed by the Nakiri when compared side by side if veggies were the only consideration.

I appreciate the replies. Thanks! I'm convinced to go with the nakiri. The old Fe clad ones are still available but I'm not sure if I should go with the new SS clad ones. Am I right to assume that the old Fe clad ones would be easier to sharpen/thin? And from what I've read there seem to be conflicting opinions as to the reactivity of the Takeda Fe cladding.

Any views?

Well, I certainly have an opinion about the classic cladding :) I find it quite firmly in the non-reactive side of the line. It'll rust and all that if you leave it wet, but I never have to worry about it reacting with my food as I prep. I've got a slew of Takedas ... 9, I think... and I haven't had any reactivity issues with any of them.

I'm trying to find excuses to buy some more of his classic-clad knives while they're still sort of out there. I think the classic cladding is pretty darn good.

The primary reason why Takeda is changing over to stainless clad is because it's cheaper for him to make that way. Therefore, it seems to me that he'd stick with his classic cladding if it weren't for the rising cost of whatever it is he uses for his classic cladding - it's not just junk iron - and the rising cost of his rosewood handles. Both apparently spiked up in cost over the last year or two and he's had to adjust in order to keep his pricing where it is.

So... if you don't mind taking on a bit of up-front uncertainty but want to get the knife as Takeda himself would prefer it, go with the classic clad. If you'd rather keep your risk to zero and don't see any functional difference between the classic and stainless cladding, go for the new stainless clad. You can choose to get one of the last classics or one of the first stainless - either way it's a special place to be ;)

I appreciate the replies. Thanks! I'm convinced to go with the nakiri. The old Fe clad ones are still available but I'm not sure if I should go with the new SS clad ones. Am I right to assume that the old Fe clad ones would be easier to sharpen/thin? And from what I've read there seem to be conflicting opinions as to the reactivity of the Takeda Fe cladding.

Any views?

I can't recall many comments complaining about reactivity of Takeda cladding/KU finish. It also seems to be one of the more durable KU finishes.

I can't recall many comments complaining about reactivity of Takeda cladding/KU finish. It also seems to be one of the more durable KU finishes.

I've owned three Takedas, and never had issue with the cladding being reactive, or flaking off.

Back