Plastigrip on MIyabi 7000 MC - rehandle on the cheap...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As I mentioned in a previous thread, I really love my Miyabi 7000MC 240. Insanely good steel and great geometry. Trouble is the handle really really sucks for me, most uncomfortable handle in my collection I think! Anyway, as someone pointed out to me here this thread indicates it is really really hard to rehandle a Miyabi:

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/3341-Miyabi-7000MC-Wa-Conversion

so I thought about trying Plastigrip which cost about $6 a can at your local Home Depot. And low and behold a few dips in the can and my knife is actually quite pleasant to use now:
IMAG0261.jpgIMAG0262.jpg

Functionally I guess that works for you, but for looks on such an expensive knife it does not seem to fit. Still if your a pro working, who cares about looks.

I'm not a pro but it is one of my favorite knives in my home kitchen to use as far as its steel and geometry goes, so I'd rather it look like a cheap dexter and be comfortable and fun to use then be sitting in the block cause it felt uncomfortable .

I actually have lots of beautiful handles on my dammy collection but ironically I don't use them that much on a day to day basis because they are just too georgeous - whereas now I use the Miyabi a lot even though I admit the plastigrip on it reminds me of my first beater knife - go figure!

I had one and loved it except the stupid handle and the added weight of it. If they had installed a plain d handle on it I wouldn't sell it.

The balance really sucked on the shorter guyto but I find it OK on the 240 and luckily the plastigrip doesn't really add any weight

I'm not a pro but it is one of my favorite knives in my home kitchen to use as far as its steel and geometry goes, so I'd rather it look like a cheap dexter and be comfortable and fun to use then be sitting in the block cause it felt uncomfortable .

I actually have lots of beautiful handles on my dammy collection but ironically I don't use them that much on a day to day basis because they are just too georgeous - whereas now I use the Miyabi a lot even though I admit the plastigrip on it reminds me of my first beater knife - go figure!

I do agree function take first place I didn't mean it to come any other way. It is sort of also my little thing I dislike on the Miyabi blades. One handles, not real choices, second MCD series can't get large enough blades. Bottom line is whatever works for you as its not a fashion show.

That is a nice price. They have it on sale here for 200 euro which is still cheaper than I paid for my 7KD. I sort of wish I took the MC now also for the better steel.

Nice! Did I sell it to you? I forgot who I sold mine to for a dirt low price! LOL.

Anyway, the handle was my #1 complaint on that knife, and otherwise, ZDP-189 is such an interesting steel to use. It never goes dull. It just chips if you are mean to it.

No I got it new from cutlery and more, was being discontinued.

The steel is amazing indeed and the geometry and balance on the 240 is nice as well

Latest posts

Back