Quantcast
Removing a half installed Wa handle
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Removing a half installed Wa handle

Removing a half installed Wa handle

I was replacing the Wa- handle on a knife of mine which has quite a thick tang, I thought I'd made enough adjustment that by the time it was burnt on it would be a tight fit, but I was wrong,now I'm in limbo! I'm around 1cm short of having it fit properly and it won't go any further and I'm having a really hard time getting it off again. Are there any tricks for loosening the handle that wont do any permanent damage? Or any way to help it along that last cm
    [IMG][/IMG]

That's for your help
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Hold a scrap block of wood longer then the blade against the blade face and resting on the ferrule. Smack said block of wood with a hammer and voila, the handle will be removed with no danmage.

Quote Originally Posted by Von blewitt View Post
    I was replacing the Wa- handle on a knife of mine which has quite a thick tang, I thought I'd made enough adjustment that by the time it was burnt on it would be a tight fit, but I was wrong,now I'm in limbo! I'm around 1cm short of having it fit properly and it won't go any further and I'm having a really hard time getting it off again. Are there any tricks for loosening the handle that wont do any permanent damage? Or any way to help it along that last cm
    [IMG][/IMG]

That's for your help

Thanks Karl, that's what I've been doing but to no avail, I've taken quite a few handles off like that before but this one is proving particularly stubborn! I think I need a bigger hammer
    Huw

Haha success!!!
    Moral to this story, if at first you don't succeed try a bigger hammer
    Huw

haha, Im glad you got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Von blewitt View Post
    Thanks Karl, that's what I've been doing but to no avail, I've taken quite a few handles off like that before but this one is proving particularly stubborn! I think I need a bigger hammer
    Huw,
    it's just friction. You need to strike a few times before you see some movement. A wood mallet is much kinder (and offers more control because of the wider surface) to your handles than a metal one. Put some masking tape on the edge or you might accidentally remove you fingers with the handle.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

try freezing, but make sure its bone dry before or else you will freeze it on. if its totally dry it will shrink the tang and widen the hole

it is a tricky business, glad you got it mate

+ Reply to Thread