Removing a half installed Wa handle

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was replacing the Wa- handle on a knife of mine which has quite a thick tang, I thought I'd made enough adjustment that by the time it was burnt on it would be a tight fit, but I was wrong,now I'm in limbo! I'm around 1cm short of having it fit properly and it won't go any further and I'm having a really hard time getting it off again. Are there any tricks for loosening the handle that wont do any permanent damage? Or any way to help it along that last cm
null_zps265b99e0.jpg
[/IMG]

That's for your help

Hold a scrap block of wood longer then the blade against the blade face and resting on the ferrule. Smack said block of wood with a hammer and voila, the handle will be removed with no danmage.

I was replacing the Wa- handle on a knife of mine which has quite a thick tang, I thought I'd made enough adjustment that by the time it was burnt on it would be a tight fit, but I was wrong,now I'm in limbo! I'm around 1cm short of having it fit properly and it won't go any further and I'm having a really hard time getting it off again. Are there any tricks for loosening the handle that wont do any permanent damage? Or any way to help it along that last cm
null_zps265b99e0.jpg
[/IMG]

That's for your help

Thanks Karl, that's what I've been doing but to no avail, I've taken quite a few handles off like that before but this one is proving particularly stubborn! I think I need a bigger hammer :D

Thanks Karl, that's what I've been doing but to no avail, I've taken quite a few handles off like that before but this one is proving particularly stubborn! I think I need a bigger hammer :D

Huw,
it's just friction. You need to strike a few times before you see some movement. A wood mallet is much kinder (and offers more control because of the wider surface) to your handles than a metal one. Put some masking tape on the edge or you might accidentally remove you fingers with the handle. :)

try freezing, but make sure its bone dry before or else you will freeze it on. if its totally dry it will shrink the tang and widen the hole

it is a tricky business, glad you got it mate :D

Back